Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had a 1928AC for about 35 years. It runs good and is a lot of fun. I have shot a bunch of different machine guns. I think if I could only have one, it would be a 1918A2 BAR. I just love shooting it. I have owned and fired a variety of M1 & M2 Carbines. I am left handed and every one I have shot has thrown brass back on to my head. So I do not shoot them much. I also think a full auto UZI is a lot of fun. If I could only have two, it would be a Thompson and a BAR.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Connecticut State Police recently sold/traded off some of their remaining M1928A1 Thompson's I Know a couple were resold by the dealer.
Several years ago was able to fire one of them to the point I actually got tired of loading the 50 round drums. Here some photos of the Thompsons at the dealer over the past few months. The Thompson with the vertical fore grip is a Savage, the rest are Auto Ordinance Bridgeport guns. I included a vintage photo of CSP Trainee's firing Thompsons in the Academy.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve always wanted a Thompson since the first time I saw John Wayne or Vic Morrow carrying one. They continue to be a grail gun and in that unobtainable spectrum of things like 427 Cobras and 63 Split Window Vettes. I continue to live vicariously through all that own and shoot them.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
True, the price and legal/licensing requirements to own one makes it difficult to say the least. Then you have the other issue " Hey honey look what I bought for us". Her response will be " I'll be selling my half of "our" collection while you pack your bags" .
I'd tell her it's better than a 401k. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
You could get it and then call her over to see it and say something soft like: Geez Honey, I just received this new gun and you wouldn't believe the deal I got on it. They wanted $65,000 for it and I got it for $62,500. I am sure that saving $2500 would impress her.
So last night, I finally mentioned to my wife that I'm interested in buying a Thompson. She kind of did an "okay" sort of reaction. Then I told her they're kind of pricey. When she asked, and I gave her the price range, she let out this loud, deep, guttural sound. It was like the bowels of hell had erupted. Then I said it would probably out perform a 401k. Nothing else was said.

This morning, being the good husband that I am, I tell her I'm depositing a check in our savings account. She asks, "Don't you want to put that money aside toward your Tommy?"

Massive sigh of relief. I'll keep her.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,427 Posts
So last night, I finally mentioned to my wife that I'm interested in buying a Thompson. She kind of did an "okay" sort of reaction. Then I told her they're kind of pricey. When she asked, and I gave her the price range, she let out this loud, deep, guttural sound. It was like the bowels of hell had erupted. Then I said it would probably out perform a 401k. Nothing else was said.

This morning, being the good husband that I am, I tell her I'm depositing a check in our savings account. She asks, "Don't you want to put that money aside toward your Tommy?"

Massive sigh of relief. I'll keep her.

There's hope. Secretly she really wants you to have one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many years ago I went to the Hill Country shootout in Texas. I went early Sunday morning and had to stand in line for about 5 hours before I got to shoot anything. I was able to shoot six different machine guns and the Thompson was by far the best. It was the only one you could write your name with and all the others were difficult to control on full auto.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts