Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another post, the author stated he was in his 30's and he knew of no one else who was into Colt SAA's near to his age. So, if you collect or like SAA's, reply with what your age is. Also, give your thoughts as to what you think the future holds for the SAA hobby, especially since the gun show crowd seems to have a lot of grey hair.

I am 43, and enjoy trying to find a nice SAA with at least some condition at an affordable price. Increasingly difficult to do, as any SAA with at least some finish is pushing 4 grand. 4 grand is a stretch for me these days... Of course, you can find SAA's in the $1,000 to $2,000 range, but these ones tend to be heavily used or even abused.

What do I think the future holds? It seems like simple supply and demand may mean that the demand may diminish, as older collectors sell collections or their heirs disburse of them. It means that the values may go down. Might be a good buying opportunity?

Conversely, there are advertisements for auctions, in, of all places, the Wall Street Journal, by none other than Rock Island Auction Company. Sort of suggesting that high quality firearms are investments, in an attempt to appeal to those with money. Seems sort of a hard sell, as those who are into stocks and computers tend to live in an urban area, and these areas tend to be anti-gun.

So, your age, and thoughts as to the future...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm 22. Right now I've only got one, a 3rd Gen 5 1/2" .44 Special, sold a 1907 Bisley .38WCF to get it. The 1st Gen definitely had a smoother action but the grip angle made the grip too small for me to use. I plan to keep accumulating them as possible. I prefer the ones with less finish, the silver of a holster worn receiver looks much better than brand new color case to me. My dad also has an 1898 converted to .38 Special and I really have a thing for those for some reason. The next step for me though is to get some Grashorn stags for my "Colt's Patent Forty-Four".

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I'm nearly 54 and have been collecting and buying and selling 1st gen single actions for over 31 years now. At many of the collector shows I'm one of the youngest ones there.

I've marveled at how the prices of nice original 1st's have continued to march forward. Several years ago I predicted that because of the high prices of single actions that the younger collectors would put their money elsewhere (pythons and other colt modern to semi modern double actions) and that as the older collectors liquidated their collections (or their estates did) that there would be a smaller amount of buyers for the items that came to the market and prices would fall. But so far I've been proven wrong. The premier auction houses are still bringing some really nice stuff in single actions on the market and they appear still to be marching forward every year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am 28 and I have yet to acquire a true Colt SAA. I have loved them for quite some time now and I have the cimarron clone of course. More affordable gun to buy without breaking the bank at this point in time. I started my own business and hope to be engaged this week, and I have quite a few 1911's and other guns. In retrospect, I probably could've purchased a true Colt SAA long ago, but other things caught my attention.

Anyway, I was looking at getting a 175th anniversary Nickel 4 3/4 in .45 Colt. Unfortunately I couldn't swing it. At the time I was looking, the MSRP was around 1200 ish. Today if you check the cataloge, a new SAA is currently MSRP of 1450ish? With the advent of cowboy action shooting (which i hope to get involved with next year), I think not only will SAA's stay rather prevalent, but you may also see a lot more vintage ones being fired. I scour gun broker almost daily for 2nd Gens as that is the model I would personally prefer as my first Colt. However, truth be told, I told the miss that my wedding present to myself will be a couple of matched Colts that I will have work done to through my life, such as engraving etc. Anyway, I know this is long winded and all, but the minute I can afford a SAA, I will be picking one up because I only see value to climb. I don't particularly think any gun I ever own will appreciate in value in my lifetime to some of the really high end rare ones.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Conversely, there are advertisements for auctions, in, of all places, the Wall Street Journal, by none other than Rock Island Auction Company. Sort of suggesting that high quality firearms are investments, in an attempt to appeal to those with money. Seems sort of a hard sell, as those who are into stocks and computers tend to live in an urban area, and these areas tend to be anti-gun.
There are plenty of big-money guys who are into antique guns. Whether they are buying them for investment purposes or are genuinely interested in them makes little difference, as they are buying them. Lots of MD's, lawyers, etc. collect old guns, are interested in them beyond "investment purposes", and I think they will continue to buy them in the future. Perhaps if they started to put their money elsewhere prices would start to come down, but I'm not going to complain too much, as I've been blessed with around 25 1st's.

At 39, I assumed for a long time that I was the youngest SAA guy on here. Nobody that I know that is my age is interested in them at all beyond "oh cool, an old Cowboy gun". So, after reading the above, I'm glad I'm not alone and I think this proves that there will be a market for 1st gen SAA's for years to come, even though a piece of me wishes I was the only person my age buying them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am 62. Two days ago ordered my first saa from MN. 1st gen. .45, 3/4 barrel. I have been looking for almost a year. I enjoy the look and history of the older guns. Didn't buy the gun for an investment, but to shoot and enjoy. If it does increase in value, that is a added bonus.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Hell, it's a Colt Single Action Army - shoot it and enjoy it as was meant to be done - you'll still make money on it later on.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Well, at almost 68 I've been collecting prewar Colt Single Actions and Winchester Lever Actions for almost 40 years. I have thought at several points along the way that interest in these old guns would wane the farther we got from old west days and as folks of my generation grew long in the tooth! However, so far, there appears to be continuing interest in these old guns and I still see younger folks looking at and buying them at collector shows. So, I guess it remains to be seen how long this will continue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My take is that as long as the vaquero/buckaroo/cowboy remains an icon of Western history, the Colt 1st gen SAA will be the niftiest tangible link with that storied time. And will continue to be in demand.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I'm 47. I bought my first SAA when I was 24. I had just graduated law school, had a heap of debt hanging over me and a low-paying job. I wanted a 5.5" blue/cc 45. A local shop owner pulled one out of his office and dangled it in front of me like a hypnotist with a gold pocket watch. It was a 1970 model in about 98% condition with no box. I asked for a five-month layaway period, because I just couldn't afford to pay it off any sooner - or so I thought. I wanted it so badly, that I paid it off in about two months. I currently have 11 SAAs (three first gen, two second gen, and six third gen), a Bisley 44-40 and a recently made New Frontier 45. I would really like to own one or two high condition, boxed first generation models some day, but I am very thankful for what I have. The SAA is such a beautifully balanced gun and so pleasing to the eye.

My oldest brother turns 67 this month. After a number of years of trying, I finally talked him into buying an SAA. He is waiting on an engraved 5.5" 45 from Nutmeg. I tell him he won't regret it. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
aT 57, I have been collecting colts and winchester's since i went to my first gun show in sydney in 1975,thats when the bug hit me. 38 yrs latter the sa's have dryed up some in oz,but they can still be found.one thing out hear is the law makers seem to be hell bent on closing it all down,and like in one of the above post,the majority are in their 50s. price comes into it also,back in the late 80's and early 90's one could and i did import sa's from the states quiet easily, wait for the shotgun news to arive look through the adds call the US seller discuss the gun over the phone ,pay by a bank check and wait 4 weeks to it arrive. i bought many this way and some with up to 40% finish, and never payed any more then $1500, no those same guns are bringing $3500 and up.and the better one's $5000 plus, so in some ways it starts to thin out the boys from the men.I hope that the interrest will prevail for many years to come, but im afraid hear in australia, what will close it down is not the price and age groop, but the law makers and do gooder's

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Yeah, if we had a dime for every time one of those original assault weapons was used in a crime here in the states we would.....well, we would not have a dime.
aT 57, I have been collecting colts and winchester's since i went to my first gun show in sydney in 1975,thats when the bug hit me. 38 yrs latter the sa's have dryed up some in oz,but they can still be found.one thing out hear is the law makers seem to be hell bent on closing it all down,and like in one of the above post,the majority are in their 50s. price comes into it also,back in the late 80's and early 90's one could and i did import sa's from the states quiet easily, wait for the shotgun news to arive look through the adds call the US seller discuss the gun over the phone ,pay by a bank check and wait 4 weeks to it arrive. i bought many this way and some with up to 40% finish, and never payed any more then $1500, no those same guns are bringing $3500 and up.and the better one's $5000 plus, so in some ways it starts to thin out the boys from the men.I hope that the interrest will prevail for many years to come, but im afraid hear in australia, what will close it down is not the price and age groop, but the law makers and do gooder's

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've posted about this before but as mrcvs said in the 1st posting in this thread to state your age because some guys are trying to find SAA's made in their birth year,I ain't gonna tell u how old I am but I'll bet I'm probably the only one on this forum that owns a 1st gen. SAA that was made the same year as I was born & it's in my favorite caliber which is .44 spcl w/a 4 3/4 bbl. & really nice original grips.I collect mainly .44 spcls & 44/40's although 8 or 9 .45's have snuck in when the price was right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I see a corvette go by, the person driving also has grey hair. I think the issue is money and not demand. Years ago, a young person could buy a Colt SAA for a reasonable price. Now, the prices have risen way to much to be affordable and when you have a mortgage, car payments, kids and other commitments, well you know what gets paid first. As a person ages, wages increase and financial commitments decrease, they will have more to spend on items such as a SAA.
I do not think a Colt SAA will ever go out of demand.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
When I was 19 I had my first Corvette, a '69. I had a ZR1 at 21. I have had several more over the years from 58's on, but do not have one now that I have grey hair. I kinda do things in revere it seems......
When I see a corvette go by, the person driving also has grey hair. I think the issue is money and not demand. Years ago, a young person could buy a Colt SAA for a reasonable price. Now, the prices have risen way to much to be affordable and when you have a mortgage, car payments, kids and other commitments, well you know what gets paid first. As a person ages, wages increase and financial commitments decrease, they will have more to spend on items such as a SAA.
I do not think a Colt SAA will ever go out of demand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm 33 and own one 1st generation saa, 1874 artillery model, all parts ainsworth inspected. Barrel is marked co f 10th cav (buffalo soldier unit) saw indian war action in texas and Oklahoma, one of three known to exist. Dad is 62 and has over a dozen first gens. I'm always looking for more but time and money are always the issue

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
In 1961 I was fresh out of college and working my first job in the oilfield. I wandered into a gunsmith's shop in Mississippi and got to talking to the owner. He pulled out a cigar box that had all the pieces of a Colt Frontier Six Shooter in it. They were grey, but had no pitting and the bbl had a decent bore. We struck a deal and I walked out with my first Colt SAA for $50. I sure had fun putting that one back together and shooting it. Later traded it off at a gun show in Los Angeles for a new 2nd gen 38 Spl SAA with a 7 1/2" bbl. Then later I traded that one in Bakersfield for a 1st gen 41 Colt that had originally been shipped to The Copper Queen Consolidated Mine in Bisbee AZ. Don't remember what happened to that one, but for some reason, I still have the letter! Forward a "few" years.....in the 90's I got infatuated with German Lugers and sold or traded most of my SAA's for them. But I always kept 2 or 3 for shooting! Then about 10 yrs ago I got interested in Bar-B-Q guns and sold most of my Lugers to finance that affliction. So now I'm back to Colt SAA's, and time marches on......

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I'm 56. I got a new .357 SAA in 1980. I was married and poor. Don't know how I swung that $375. A few years later I was single, laid off and saw a full reblued 1920 vintage Colt SAA with a Christy .38 barrel and cylinder in a pawn shop. The rampant colt was barely visable and the store assumed it was an Italian copy. I got my dad to buy it for their price of $200. I paid him that for it later and it's one of my engraved .45s I have now. I have a 1911 vintage .45 and a 1900 bisley, but my favorites are the guns from the late 50's. They are more affordable when blue worn like I like them, and quality then was superb.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts