Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
63. Been at it for 26 years. At 37 I was in a position financially to take my interest a step farther and start purchasing. I don't think there are many 20 somethings that can drop 4-10K on a gun. 75% grey heads at the show I went to today. The younger crowd seemed to be at the "black rifle" tables.

Registered
I'm in my mid-50s and got my first Colt in 1975. Have collected lots of different types and makes of guns over the years but I always came back to Colts. Some years back I decided to simplify things and just focus on Colts. Have been buying Pre-War Colts lately. Amazing fit and finish. Today, you could buy a new Colt 3rd Generation SAA and shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it, and still get your money out of it plus maybe a bit more in 10-15 years. Not a lot of hobbies like that. I think the good-stuff will always hold or increase in value. The younger crowds may be focused on Black Rifles and Tupperware now, but as they get older some of them will eventually become fascinated by the quality and history of guns made with blued steel and walnut. At least I hope so.

Registered
I am 35 and have a few 1st gen colt saa and a handful of 3rd gen guns. I like the 1st generation guns so well some of my 3rd generations I had built with 1st generation markings. We live and work on the farm and ranch and I actually carry the guns to shoot rattlesnakes and such (use CCI shotshells most of the time - so I cheat)! The draw for me is the history behind the guns. I can imagine the stories that they could tell or what they have done. How I got started is I have spent time in Ft. Sumner NM - Billy the Kid history and got hooked on the 1877 colts which progressed to the SAA. My Dad had a few colt SAA that I used as a kid and then I popped for my own 1st generation. I was hooked then and have been blessed with what I have. I am now on a mission to get a 1st gen gun that was shipped on each of my kids birthdays (month and day). I am 1 for 3 to date. I believe there will always be a handful of folks interested in the 1st generation guns for different reasons. Bottom line is they are part of our history and a great history it is...

Registered
Will, regretably, I'm 83. Have two 3d gen SAA (for grandson) and two pre-1898 SAA. All 45 cal. re-load for both smokeless and black powder SAA's.
Always admired the SAA as a kid, when I was a little short of pennies, but knew someday I wold get one of those SAA, and did. As stated, SAA can only go up just don't abuse them. Don't get to shoot my four much. Have to get my grandsons to shoot off a few rounds. Right now I have a 1st gen.7.5" nickel 45 barrel for sale at Gunbroker. Nice shootable bore. Great for replacing a dark-pitted barrel. Lets load up and enjoy......

Banned
I am 34, at the moment, I have only two rusty relic 1st gen SAA. I had a nickel finish stag gripped .41 1st gen but traded it for my main gun obsession Merwin Hulberts. I traded 2 colts and a Smith 44 DA for 6 Merwin's including two 1st 1st models. I have a thing for Merwin .44's they take precedence over Colts. I know later when money gets easier to come by I will be able to get the Colts. The Merwin's will be harder to come up with. The recent and future interest seems to be growing, they made 1/3 as many and nobody to date can duplicate them.

Registered
I'm 57 and in search for my first SAA. Looking for a 1st generation. I've started to collect investment quality guns, my first being a Winchester 1873, so not much of a collection yet. I came from collecting cars. I have only one car now but it's investment quality. However even though it's show quality, I drive quite a bit. My goal in gun collecting is to have fun, learn a bunch and hopefully get some appreciation. Im into quality and not quantity. The nice things about gun collecting vs. car collecting is they don't take up much space and no need to restore. The toughest thing about gun collecting is developing the knowledge to make smart buys. Spending 5 figures on a gun doesn't scare me off. Spending 5 figures and getting taken does.

Registered
Im 30 and although I do not own one, I will in the near future. I have many old Colts and have many more on the list. I have to say, I don't know a single person my age that is interested in old guns. All they care about are these black plastic things. I don't get it. I have had a few conversations with some old timers about this and I believe interest in old arms is diminishing and will continue to have less interested. I am a gun dealer and estate liquidator. We handle large collections regularly. Many of our buyers are older men and women. Young people are a rarity. Almost picked up a 1st gen. saa but it had been rebuilt by Christy and had some new parts on it. Im holding out for an original.

Forum Friend
I'm another one who doesn't know of any other near my age interested in 1st Gens but I think the trend that I have observed over the years will continue. In the 1930s a good SAA went for $5, maybe up to 10, 1950s $25-50, 1980s I bought a nice one (last one below) for $450. All the others shown were in trade.

I'm only 89 but have been lucky enuf to happen upon a few 1st Gens - chrono listed ---

A pre 1st Gen is my rather tired but all original '72 Open Top ---

1870s SAA civilian, s/n 18Ks with ivory, nickeled back in the day and with a lot of wear but beautiful bore ---

1870s SAA civilian, s/n 32 Ks, all original, brownish patinized, minor grip inlay repair, fine bore ---

1891 SAA .38 Colt, s/n 144Ks, lettered, complete restoration to like new in & out ---

1900s SAA .38-40, s/n 265Ks, about 70% gun ---

Registered
I like the Navy sized grips on your Open Top. I've got #2304 now with Army sized grips. Sold #202 with navy grips, brass t.g and b.s. and Colt's Patent, some 10 or 15 years ago. Still regret that one!

Registered
First Generation SAA interest for the next generation.

The 4 3/4" Colt is an 1891. .38 WFC. This is the only 'new' SAA I have added in 10 years or so. Very tight and decent gun for 1200 that came from a buddy. He made money and I was happy.:rolleyes:
All the rest were bought in the 70s 80s. As others have said, I see mostly seniors buying SAA 1st generation these days. I am 66. The younger guys I know are not as interested in the history of the West and the part Colt played. Also prices are climbing due to internet auction fever. What is hopeful, is that with forums like this, we can all learn, share stories and our finds and that will take the hobby into the future. Generally what we baby boomers have collected: old cars, militaria, old toys, vintage guitars will be of less interest to a large audience in the new generation. The slow demise of gunshows where we could walk out with a purchase or do trades without a huge hassle are also a diminishing factor. I am glad I was part of the 'golden age' of collecting in the 70s-80s. Lots to choose from, with reasonable prices. We snapped it all up..or much of it.
Note: in the Colt grouping, the bottom gun far right is my first gun and is a toy cap gun. Looks almost real.

Attachments

Registered
I'm 67. I bought my first SAA in 1968 from my brother's father-in-law who had a pawn shop. I was buying a 1st model 1873 Winchester rifle when I noticed a .45 SAA in his safe. I bought it, too, and was hooked. Collected Winchesters and Colt SAAs until 1986 when I sold out to a dealer in East Texas. The Colts in my collection were all 1st generations, although I don't remember ever using that term back then, and all were in original condition. I wouldn't own a refinished or restored gun, and still won't. And, I never bought one of the "modern" ones (2nd or 3rd gens.) Just my preference. Many times I've regretted selling my collection, but at the time, with a new house and new baby on the way, priorities changed and I needed the money more than the guns. Once an addict, always an addict. You just try to keep the addiction under control. To replace my etched barrels, sheriffs models, U.S. Cavs, etc. would cost a fortune today. I've bought a few SAAs since then, but always traded or sold them. A friend and neighbor of mine sold some of his SAA collection many years ago, but kept 12 of his best U.S. Cavalry's. If he ever decides to sell them, I know I can't resist. :)

Registered
Oh, and as far as the future of collecting, I just don't know. I live in a small town and we have two gun shows a year with modern guns with a few junky antique ones. The shows are packed and you can't find a place to park. Everybody buying ammo, assault rifles, auto pistols, etc. Once a year we have an antique gun and knife show. You can drive up and park at the front door. Very poor attendance. The dealers trade among themselves, and us old-timers just sit around and reminisce. It's really sad. :(

Registered
I'm 83. Have two modern Colt SAA 45's for my grandsons. Also two 1st gen SAA. One an 1898 nickel, which was nickeled many years ago. I put a 2d gen. barrel on it and shoots great at 6 O'clock on the bull. Second SSA is a refinished 1884, which also shoots great. However, the boys are not to crazy about shooting the SAA, so down the road might let the 1st gen pieces go. Time will tell.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.