Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt SAA 38-40, Shipped 1911, 5-1/2'', Second notch is damaged, Personal scratch marks, Re-nickel?, Barrel pits with fair rifling.
Seller is asking 1200-1600, i was thinking 900-1000 but i may be way off.
Your thoughts please,
thanks, GPT

IMG_1986.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would pay $1250 and be happy, but it's my fav barrel, caliber and finish.
Others may have different opinions.
Looks like a great shooter to me, but I have an extra hammer :cool:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I've seen very nice gray guns for this much, which I'd prefer. This one had finish problems, perhaps pitting, and was heavily buffed to "fix" it, then plated to cover it all up. Not very nice, and unless quite cheap, I'd pass.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That gun is on GunBroker with bids already so you’ll have to outbid someone to get it. In the pics on GB it has scratches on the left side of the frame and is missing the firing pin.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
We all have different means and desires. This is my 1907 gun. I've posted a photo of it elsewhere in the forum. I paid 2200 for it last fall. May be that was too much because the finish is gone, but action/timing are tight and it shoots as well as I am able.

IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG Not even ashes from a cigar can hurt the finish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That 1907 is GORGEOUS! I really like the gray patina the old ones end up with. On the 2 Colts I just purchased, I specifically
looked for that exact finish.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey Chaz1, Thought you'd be settled in by now DownUnder! Those pictures are giving you away; haven't even packed a box yet, I'm betting.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If you're referring to the upside down photos, I noticed that when previewing my post. Dunno why that inversion happened. Neither do I know why some photos are attached as pictures while others attach as links.

And thanks, Josie! I also love gray Winchesters as much as shiny ones. (I know this is the single action forum but I couldn't resist.)

Shiny DSC_0014.JPG and gray DSC_0047.JPG

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Cascades, unfortunately our comments are lost on the second page. I could have sworn this topic of picture posting appeared a few days ago with the question "Why do some photos get posted as links while others appear in pictures?" I follow the same procedure every time I post photos and they come directly from the same photo file but there's no saying how they will appear; gobbledeegook link, picture, or upside down picture! As we say on the farm, "go figger!"

·
Registered
505 Posts
Figgering here, Chaz1. This Electronic Age is amazing, but not being able to see the problem, or when all else fails, to just whop a good one upside the computer to fix it, leaves me clueless.

The photograph I posted on the "Companion" thread isn't a crisp one. For some reason my trusty camera has changed a few settings, and pushing pretty much all the possible combinations that the buttons can give, I'm unable to find the correct settings. Even pushing the "flower" button will not change the camera's mind to switch to close-up mode. Need a flash--forget it. When no flash is wanted--tough luck.

And because this is a SAA forum, I won't ramble on about my 'phone and its "free will." Someone will likely soon inlay small 'phones into Colt grips. When that comes about, then the topic can be beaten to death.

Fortunately for me, there is a way out of this world where a hammer, duct tape, and JB Weld no longer effectively fix most anything--the way out; aging faster every day--Boot Hill.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I still think "a hammer, duct tape, and JB Weld" can fix most things. Anything left over can be fixed with a 30-06. Don't leave, we need to stick together! Chaz

·
Registered
505 Posts
"Anything left over can be fixed with a 30-06."--Excellent!

Trouble with that, though, is I don't have an '06.

And thanks for your encouragement. I plan on sticking around a bit longer; need to enjoy much more ice cream before I go.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When I first started working as an auto mechanic many years ago an old timer told me "if you can't fix it with a hammer you just need a bigger hammer" Over the years he has proven to be for the most part correct.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
"Anything left over can be fixed with a 30-06."--Excellent!

Trouble with that, though, is I don't have an '06.

And thanks for your encouragement. I plan on sticking around a bit longer; need to enjoy much more ice cream before I go.

Chaz says "1903s are fabulous 06s"
Big guns.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts