Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've had some time to get to know my new Python , I want to share some observations I've made after having given it a hard look and firing the first 300 rounds.
I've looked the gun over and cannot find a blemish , scratch , or flaw of any kind from muzzle to grip frame. The polish is even and mirror like throughout and the fit of all external parts is excellent.
I've only been able to put 300 rounds through the gun to date and it has cycled and fired every single time. I have fired .357 Magnum and .38 Special of different bullets and weights both factory and my handloads and the Python performed flawlessly.
My benchmark double action trigger pull is my 1955 Highway Patrolman and I rate the Python trigger every bit as good with no stacking , grit , or inconsistency. The only difference being a slightly less snappy trigger reset.
Being the most expensive revolver I've ever bought , I hoped there would be no buyers remorse after the fact. There is none. The more I handle and shoot the Python , the happier I am that I took the leap of faith and own it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. It’s great to read that yours is all we would want to experience. My online experience is that people will share more negative experiences than positive so it tends to skew public opinion to the negative. I’m looking forward to the day when I add a new Python to the Colt stable...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm hearing more and more of the positives, I too will be adding one.may be next year with this virus thing going on...I have passed on a few overpriced orig. ones.....but, if one comes along, you never know!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I concur, the new Python has a flawless finish. The DA is very smooth just like the originals, however the SA is at 6 lbs to heavy IMO. Hopefully it will lighten up a little over time.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I love my 2020 Python as much as my older blue ones including a 59...the finish on mine looks polished SS looks great.Thanks for sharing your thoughts about yours.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Now that I've had some time to get to know my new Python , I want to share some observations I've made after having given it a hard look and firing the first 300 rounds.
I've looked the gun over and cannot find a blemish , scratch , or flaw of any kind from muzzle to grip frame. The polish is even and mirror like throughout and the fit of all external parts is excellent.
I've only been able to put 300 rounds through the gun to date and it has cycled and fired every single time. I have fired .357 Magnum and .38 Special of different bullets and weights both factory and my handloads and the Python performed flawlessly.
My benchmark double action trigger pull is my 1955 Highway Patrolman and I rate the Python trigger every bit as good with no stacking , grit , or inconsistency. The only difference being a slightly less snappy trigger reset.
Being the most expensive revolver I've ever bought , I hoped there would be no buyers remorse after the fact. There is none. The more I handle and shoot the Python , the happier I am that I took the leap of faith and own it.
Just picked up my 2020 Python today and am still in awe at the fit and finish. But, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of cylinder play. When the cylinder is open to the left, there is considerable play front and back and then left and right when the cylinder is properly positioned within the frame. To a Python owner who is infinitely more knowledgeable than I about the functioning of this 2020 Python, does this sound like an issue or not?
Thanks for your insights.

Peter

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Just picked up my 2020 Python today and am still in awe at the fit and finish. But, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of cylinder play. When the cylinder is open to the left, there is considerable play front and back and then left and right when the cylinder is properly positioned within the frame. To a Python owner who is infinitely more knowledgeable than I about the functioning of this 2020 Python, does this sound like an issue or not?
Thanks for your insights.

Peter
Not an issue, I believe. Forgot to test the cylinder play with the hammer back and the trigger pulled. Result: zero cylinder play.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ya, even the older Pythons you had to have the trigger all the way back and just release the hammer and the cylinder locks up tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts