Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
I would only question what you mean by 'high quality.' This one look like it is mostly original and is in about 80% condition. I see the bid is slightly over $2000. That seems like a fair price level $2000-$2500.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for one with lots of case colors and decent bluing. I don't actually care much about scratches and general honest wear. I know this one won't get a high end collector excited but it is pretty close to what I am looking for. I would like an original hammer and grips but otherwise the condition doesn't bother me. It will get shot!

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Chawk, I hear you on the grips & the hammer. I'm not a study on these but what makes ya'll think the grips & the hammer are replacements? The whole gun looks proper and I can't imagine why..(other than physical damage)...anyone would go to the trouble to replace either! It looks fantastic to me!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hammer should be case colored and that one is polished on the sides. The grips don't fit properly. You can see it a little bit in the corners of the frame. The marks on the grips at the heel of the gun also raise questions.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It's a 1909 round guard, 3 serial # gun; my favorite vintage, albeit in this cartridge, a heavy gun. But true, although the right style hammer, and a great fit at the back strap ears, without CCH it's about 17 years younger than the gun. If it were mine I'd get it CCH and call it a great shooter.

And if only the previous owner(s) had better dexterity for removing/replacing the cyl or knew what a cyl sling was for!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
The Hammer appears to be the Fifth Style from 1936 to 1940 with knurking and bright sides. The original should be CCH for a 1915 SAA Revolver. There is the possibilty the revolver was droped on the original Hammer and broke the full cock notch and replaced with the current Hammer. During the 1930s, a new Hammer was cheaper than having the original welded up and re-cut. I am not sure about the Stocks being original or not.

If you could get the revolver for under $2500, you should be able to find an original Hammer. I would guess with the wrong Hammer, that could lower the value by maybe $100 to $150 in value??? It does have some nice looking CCH on the Frame!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would guess the screws are replacements, too. It being in 32WCF will hurt it's sale value (although I love them).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I missing something? The serial number lookup says 1909. Not 1915. I'm not sure if that changes anything, just pointing it out.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Am I missing something? The serial number lookup says 1909. Not 1915. I'm not sure if that changes anything, just pointing it out.
My mistake, sorry. I either miss-typed or miss-read it.
If the hammer is a 2nd gen replacement it'll have a rampant colt stamped om the base of the hammer. If a late 1st gen it won't. Either one is the correct style.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
chawk,

If your revolver is a 1909, it could have either the 3rd or 4th style Hammer. In 1909, that was the last year Colt used the 3rd style, so if yours is an early one, it shoud be 3rd style. If a late 1909 it could have either one and be corrrect. Knowing Colt never threw anything away, it could be either one. Here are two photos showing each style of Hammer and the second photo is the explanation of each style.

Subtle changes in the Colt Single Action Army, a photo essay_Page_07.jpg Subtle changes in the Colt Single Action Army, a photo essay_Page_08.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
The gun looks good enough to buy. The finish looks original enough, I don't know why screws would be changed. The bluing on the trigger guard loop looks nice and crisp. The hammer has the first generation hole behind the firing pin. I think this is a nice revolver and if I wanted a first generation Colt in 32-20, this would certainly be a candidate anywhere below $3500.00.

These are all first generation Colts that I bought several years ago. The third is a restored, not refinished gun, but I don't care, it is still nice gun. Not one of them was under $2500.00 at that time. The Bisley was $3100.00...

124_3920.JPG

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like all of them. The Bisley has a great 'look' to it. Who did the restoration on the third one?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
The hammer should be case colored and that one is polished on the sides. The grips don't fit properly. You can see it a little bit in the corners of the frame. The marks on the grips at the heel of the gun also raise questions.
I can't say you're wrong on this! You're making me look stupid! :bang_wall: I learned something though, at least! I'm new to the later gens.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like all of them. The Bisley has a great 'look' to it. Who did the restoration on the third one?
I don't know who did the restoration, I got the gun from Hank Williams Jr. and it was already done.

The Bisley shot too high and I sent it to Dennis Olson and he built up the front sight to get it high enough to shoot POA. He did it without disturbing the original finish. I had him do the same to a Colt lightning...

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's a 1909 round guard, 3 serial # gun; my favorite vintage, albeit in this cartridge, a heavy gun. But true, although the right style hammer, and a great fit at the back strap ears, without CCH it's about 17 years younger than the gun. If it were mine I'd get it CCH and call it a great shooter.

And if only the previous owner(s) had better dexterity for removing/replacing the cyl or knew what a cyl sling was for!
I guess you are referring to those rub lines on the cylinder. I have a 1904 38 WCF that has the same problem and I can't grasp what causes it. The only thing that came to my mind is there was some debris between the frame and cylinder and the action was cycled with no regard.

I was watching that auction too and thought about having it

I'd like to hear about the cylinder sling.

ps don't worry, won't be bidding against you

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A cylinder sling would be anything, probably a piece of paper, that is wrapped around the cylinder so that when it is removed it wont get scratched.

And thanks for not bidding against me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts