Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm curious of anyone uses or has any thoughts if using Green Dot to load revolver cartridges is a viable option? I am not the richest person around, a beginning reolader and have seen that Green Dot tends to be easy to get (relativily) where I live, due to current situation in the ammo availabliity. I load for .38 Special and .38 S&W/.38 Colt New Police and will be loading for .32 Colt New Police/.32 S&W Long in the near future. I think I have seen some loads listed for .32 New Police listed for Green Dot, and have heard of some people using Green Dot for both .38 Special and .38 S&W/.38 New Police as well via the web. So I thought it could not hurt to ask here if anyone uses Green Dot for pistol/revolver loads.

At the present time I tend to use Hi-Skor 700-X for .38 Special (because it tends to be cheaper where I live LOL) and Unique for .38 S&W. In a perfect World, I'd use Unique for all my revolvers, but I have not seen it around in the past few months. From what I've heard, Green Dot has been described as being similar to 700-X, which I'm happy with using.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I built up some target loads a year or so back using mild charges of Green Dot under 148 grain hollow-base wadcutters in the .38 Special. The load grouped most excellently from my target .38 Special guns. Just the other day I used Green Dot in the .38 S&W to propel some 200 grain bullets to reasonable velocities.

The powder has some attributes as an economical way to assemble accurate revolver loads for range/target use. I'm more familiar with both Bulls-Eye and Unique but Green Dot has no surprises in store if loading recommendations are followed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Green Dot is bulky, just a slower version of Red Dot. Both can be used as pistol powders, and there is data for it. Both are old school for pistol use. I used it some, in fact I just loaded some up for the 357 using 158 gr swaged bullets, never tried this recipe before, it is a Skeeter load.

I find it burns a bit dirty, not real dirty, just a bit more than some of the others. This is for old production Red and Green, the new stuff should be cleaner. I have pails of this stuff left over from my skeet days, so I use it.

One warning, do not exceed data, I've been told that pressure climbs fast as you approach max.

Speer #9 lists lots of Red Dot data.

I would avoid using either Green Dot or Red Dot with heavy bullets, For 12 gauge and Green Dot "they" stopped listing data for heavy loads (>1 1/4 oz) when better pressure measuring equipment became available. I seem to recall that the pressure went up faster than could be measured with the old equipment.

Do some research, and come to your own conclusions. If you need some specific data, I have older Hercules manuals that I can scan for you, just PM me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I will end up getting a pound of Green Dot in the near future. Be assured, I will have more questions LOL.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
nitroexpress, Thank you for taking the time to post the loading data, and having the computer savy to do it.

My father left me a lot of red dot powder, and if I lived to be a hundred, I couldn't use it all up,so I load a lot of 12 gage shotgun shells AND 38 special hollow base wadcutters with it. Never tried green dot ONLY because I just don't have any. The load I have used for over 40 years is 3 grains of red dot with 148 grain hollow base wadcutters in 38 special. It is a very accurate load,so I just keep loading it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As you can see from my reply to your post, I use the "Dot" powders, mostly because I have a bunch of it and it does work well for me.

But, I don't think I would go out and buy Green Dot to load 357 or 38 special. I think that I would choose other powders first, Green dot would be down on the list, not too far down, but I think I'd do a bit of research and see what suits my needs, works well and is available.

Interestingly, back in the 50's or 60's there was a one powder one load for rifles and it was using Red Dot. It had some caveats but someone worked out a load of "X" grains of Red Dot powder that you could load any weight of bullet into a rifle case larger than a 35 Rem case between 25 and 35 caliber or something like that. This worked because Red Dot was a bulky powder. Trail Boss is the modern version of this concept, because it is a very bulky powder, and at 70% to 100% but not compressed it will not produce excess pressure in just about any caliber. Only "Black Powder" is as flexible except with BP the load has to be compressed.

Green Dot is just a slightly slower burning version of Red Dot, both are a fluffy powder. Green Dot is known for producing tight patterns in 12 gauge trap loads, and some of the newer powders were engineered to do the same, with less dirt (powder residue left in the barrel)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
When I had a .41 Magnum, a friend of mine gave me a near full keg of Green Dot that he had used for shotshell loading. I toyed with it and came up with some fair loads in the .41. Sort of middle-of-the-rod stuff, not mild target nor high velocity.

As I recall, it worked very well for me, about the same way I'd use Unique.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mark, I can not comment on the use of Green Dot, but I have been using 2.8grs. Red dot or Bullseye for years. Be it 148gr flat wad cutter, or 158 gr. semi wad cutter, makes no difference. They have been both my favorites for all my .38 revolvers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I prefer Hodgdon HP-38 for my .38 SPL. And .357 loads. Haven't tried green dot yet but will definitely do some research now.

Sent from a teletype.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Originally I had thought about using Green Dot simply because I knew I could find it at the time I wrote this post. However, today out of the blue I stopped by a local firearms shop to see about .32 cal cast bullets. I was out of luck on the bullets (not a big deal as I know a place online that I'll order from), but lo and behold they had two containers of Unique on hand. I have used Unique for .38 S&W/.38 Colt New Police and .38 Special and I see no reason why not to use it on .32 Colt New Police now. Thanks for the input none the less.
Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.