Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fortunate lately to land three very fine .44 Specials. The first was from gunbroker. Its a 4 3/4" 3rd Gen, nickeled. Serial number dates it as 1979. Number two is a 2nd Generation, blue/case color 5 1/2" from 1961 with factory letter. Found it at a local gun show last weekend. Number three was found on here. Another nickeled 3rd Generation with 7 1/2" barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
They are all nice but I really like that 2nd Gen. A hole in my collection I have been meaning to fill for awhile.

Sounds like you knew already that a letter is key for that configuration.

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've been fortunate lately to land three very fine .44 Specials. The first was from gunbroker. Its a 4 3/4" 3rd Gen, nickeled. Serial number dates it as 1979. Number two is a 2nd Generation, blue/case color 5 1/2" from 1961 with factory letter. Found it at a local gun show last weekend. Number three was found on here. Another nickeled 3rd Generation with 7 1/2" barrel.
Very nice guns, Mike. I have a sibling of that first one. Same caliber, finish, and year. Oddly enough, I was at my local store taking in delivery of this really nice USFA 44-40 I bought off a really cool gentleman:) and had my son with me because mom was working. So while I am filling out the paperwork, my son is bothering me by asking if he could have "this one". I was pretty busy but finally looked over and said "no you can't have...." then I saw the beautiful nickel shine. Well who am I to squash down a young 5 year old's great taste? So now he has a 44 special sitting in the back of the safe awaiting his readiness to start shooting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
MLV, Love the 2nd Gen, that is a big hole in my collection that I would love to fill. Might have to convert another NRA!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, now you'll have to test fire them, have your wife photograph them, and write an article for us to read :) Awesome looking Colts, sir!

Reactions: Hopalong and LEO918

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Mike:
I really like that 2nd Gen. The fourth SAA I added to my collection years ago was the image of your .44 Special with 5 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Very nice collection of .44s there!

My factory 44s, 4 3/4" from 1979. Had the hammers recut and added ivory. Really like these guns and the caliber.
Have to agree with the others who said it...all things considered, 44 Special is likely is the "best" large caliber, smokeless cartridge
in a SAA.

15 yard groups from each gun shooting 240s. 200s will take out the dot ...

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Beautiful guns, Mike!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
While we're on the subject of .44 spcls a new book will be coming out pretty soon written by John Taffin,every gun in it will be a .44 cal. When it's available I'll be posting it for those of u that might want one.He was kind enough to use my collection of .44's for the last chapter,he told me that he didn't know if the publisher would use them all or not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts