Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin was at a local gun show today and came across a guy selling an early Python with three digit serial number, 6xx. It does not have the original stocks. He sent me a few pictures, and got the guys contact info. He said the guy was asking $2500.
Here are the pictures. I'm relatively new to Pythons. What do you think?
IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0091.jpg

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It looks a little beat up but a slightly lower price and a restoration might be cool considering it is a 1956 gun... It is an easy 7k or 8k if it was 98 to 99%.. If you can buy and do a very professional level restoration total in at say 3500 it would be a great gun... Just a perspective...

P.S. - think you need to be in no more that about top 1500 to make it work..

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Hard to tell in those pics if the barrel is showing bluing wear or if those are fingerprint smudges on it. Same for the area behind the cylinder on the right side. Did he comment about where it was worn?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to tell in those pics if the barrel is showing bluing wear or if those are fingerprint smudges on it. Same for the area behind the cylinder on the right side. Did he comment about where it was worn?
no, he just says that the bluing looks good, but no specifics. I'll need to call him, he was texting me from the show.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A shooter Python for $2,500 is not out of range these days. That 3 digit serial number will give it a bump in price too.

I'd buy it and enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to the owner and will try to look at it tomorrow. Anything in particular I should look for? other than the fact that the grips are not original.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
With respect I would not even consider restoring that piece. All I would do is install period correct stocks.

No one today can do a true restoration anyway. All that is available is modern refinishing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With respect I would not even consider restoring that piece. All I would do is install period correct stocks.

No one today can do a true restoration anyway. All that is available is modern refinishing.
I second that. It's only original once. Also I'm not sure how you would check this but if compared to a later Python the front end should be lighter because the underlug was hollow for guns that early. If it's not you know its been rebarrelled.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I second that. It's only original once. Also I'm not sure how you would check this but if compared to a later Python the front end should be lighter because the underlug was hollow for guns that early. If it's not you know its been rebarrelled.
Good tip.

The barrel shown in the pictures is correct for that vintage and will have a hollow lug. This can be determined by the shape / height of the top rib and front sight and the 'Python' rollmark positioning.

Hollow lug barrels can be verified by looking into the underlug forward of the cylinder rod or pushing a cotton q-tip into that space.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
It looks to be authentic from the limited pics. The barrel looks correct with the higher ramp. Rear sight appears to be flat without elevation hump. I second the DO NOT CONSIDER re-finishing this gun. I see people wanting to do it to these first era Pythons, and its disturbing. The whole thing that gun has going for it is the originality of the piece. It is an early era Python with history. I would lightly clean it up, period correct stocks, and leave it be. I would love to own a Python from the '50s one day, but never a restored one.

Now price, if he is asking $2500 and ALL the mechanics are in good order, I would call that a fair price for a Python in the 600 serial range. The finish condition is why it is that low. I also see what appears to be some rusting that will need treated and stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
2500 for a nice 3 digit Python, isnt that like almost "free to good Home" nowadays???

EDIT: Note to self always look at pics first, still a good deal most likely even without stocks and buggered screws, ect. Hard to find 3 digits, I still have never seen one in person.. Thats why I dont own one lol

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Run, don't walk, and have cash money in you hand.
Don't even think of refinishing it.
You can find some correct acceptable grips that will match the general appearance of the thing.
It will be original only once.
My kind of gun.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.