Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those guns that sits quietly on your list, and then it comes along. An honest, sturdy, working gun that is just special in some way. The frame size, the trigger, the balance. The look. I believe a few of us in the Colt realm also have a soft spot for these little beasties. Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

My first gun of 2022. A 1972, 357, 6.5 barrel. Can't wait to try it out. Had to share a couple of pics with you all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a fine looking revolver, yes I'd consider one if it comes up! thanks for sharing and please post a complete range report
They're a bit thin on the ground up here in Canada for sure.
I will give a range report but it will be a while. My club was buried under six feet of water and mud during a recent flood. Bridges and roads are being repaired. So much loss of livestock and homes. My family was spared mostly.
This firearm has raised my spirits!

·
Registered
85 Posts
They're a bit thin on the ground up here in Canada for sure.
I will give a range report but it will be a while. My club was buried under six feet of water and mud during a recent flood. Bridges and roads are being repaired. So much loss of livestock and homes. My family was spared mostly.
This firearm has raised my spirits!
Good luck with your digging out after the flood.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Nice OM Blackhawk! I'm a big fan of the 3 screw Rugers. I have a few of them but still don't have a 357; I need to correct that one of these days.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
A friend of mine is getting into cowboy action shooting on a budget but wants USA guns. Unfortunately, Colts are out of the question. I suggested an OM Ruger blackhawk in 357. These and New Frontier Colts are now allowed in SASS. He just got his first with a 6 1/2” barrel. And is high bidder on another. He is well aware of carrying with the hammer down on an empty chamber and of course with SASS, we only load 5.
He just won a Win model 24 12 gauge with rare short 26” barrels. His last gun will be a Marlin 1894 in 357 when Ruger sets the price. Marlin prices are crazy right now.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
A few months back I was shooting with an old high school friend who has SAAs and copies of them plus NM Rugers. But this day he shot his late brother’s 4 5/8” old model .45. I told him that that gun was very desirable since I think OM .45 Colts were only made for a year or two. And the short barrels are especially popular. there’s just something very bellicose and businesslike about those short Blackhawks.

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
Congrats on your Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk Sir !!

One of two "tanks" I have left is this all stainless Ruger Bisley Vaquero OM (original model)...circa 2004...chambered in .357 Magnum...and shown with American Bison Horn stocks:

Gun Specifications
Type:Revolver
Manufactured:2004
Caliber:.357 Magnum
Action:Revolving Chamber
Trigger:Single Action (SA)
Safety:Trigger Activated Transfer Bar
Cylinder:6 rounds
Frame:Stainless Steel
Stocks:American Bison Horn
Sights:Blade front / Fixed rear
Notes:Purchased NIB 2005

Gun Dimensions

Barrel:5.5"

Weight:49.5 ounces

Overall Length:11.125"

Twist:1:16" RH / 8 Grooves

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ruger has always made extremely strong revolvers; overbuilt is a term for them that I have heard for years. Yours appears to be in great shape. They are hard to beat for durability. Thanks for showing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a 4 5/8" OM in .357 that I love. My son loves shooting .38 wadcutters through it as well.

My only complaint is the skinny trigger wears my finger sore on a long day of shooting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Excellent handgun and a great companion when hunting.

I am fond of these guns, and have two NM examples. The stainless goes hunting with me, alternating with a GP 100. They are rugged working man’s guns. I originally bought a blued model BH and added Zebrawood stocks, which really dress it up. Shot it yesterday in fact.
Brown Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
One of those guns that sits quietly on your list, and then it comes along. An honest, sturdy, working gun that is just special in some way. The frame size, the trigger, the balance. The look. I believe a few of us in the Colt realm also have a soft spot for these little beasties. View attachment 767142 View attachment 767143

My first gun of 2022. A 1972, 357, 6.5 barrel. Can't wait to try it out. Had to share a couple of pics with you all.
Congratulations on making a great purchase! You can never go wrong with an unconverted Old Model 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk, no matter what caliber it is. They are legendary for their strength and dependability, and their accuracy is second to none.

My very first large caliber revolver was an OM Blackhawk just like yours in .357 Magnum with the 6.5-inch barrel. It, and all of the others I had over the years, never let me down.

This little beauty in .45 Colt was mine just a few years ago. A joy to shoot! I also owned his big brother. I swear it makes me sad to look at the photos of the OM Rugers I had but sold for one reason or another.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Font

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
The problem with the New Vaquero is that the gun was much larger than other SAAs and would not fit standard holsters. Here are two Rugers that I have: TALO Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum 3 3/4” barrel and an early one by Gary Reeder converted to .45.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
21,395 Posts
Since members like the old Ruger so much, I need to 'dig some out' and list them for sale. I have about 10 of the old Flattops in both 44 mag and 357 mag.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts