Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of thumb break holsters for 1911 but am not sure which are for carrying in condition 1. The Di Santis 1CL is advertised for cocked & locked (hence 1CL) but Galco, Bianchi, Hume, etc. never mention C-1 carry. Any help with midrange OWB in black would be helpful.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Indeed it's curious that Galco, for example, shows strapless holsters on their website with the 1911 cocked, and thumbreak holsters for the 1911 with the hammer down. Otherwise I would have said that they've avoided picturing c&l altogether out of fear of litigation.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have had experience in the past that some thumb break holsters will disengage the thumb safety when the snap is closed. Not a real big concern when pistol is holstered since the strap is between the hammer and the firing pin but as soon as you unsnap it, you now have a pistol completely off safe since your usually holding the gun a this time and the grip safety is depressed. I would really look at this closely before I would opt for a thumb snap holster for use with a cocked and locked 1911.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have had experience in the past that some thumb break holsters will disengage the thumb safety when the snap is closed. Not a real big concern when pistol is holstered since the strap is between the hammer and the firing pin but as soon as you unsnap it, you now have a pistol completely off safe since your usually holding the gun a this time and the grip safety is depressed. I would really look at this closely before I would opt for a thumb snap holster for use with a cocked and locked 1911.
Think about the reasons for the thumb break, and the reason for carrying cocked and locked. The two nearly defeat each other.
The thumb break is for security to hold the gun in the holster.....not really ready for quick deployment. Whereas, carrying cocked and locked facilitates a quick draw with the gun already cocked and locked only by the slide safety, ready for quick availability. I know of many that carry with the slide safety off as well, relying on the grip safety to prevent accidental discharge, not a condition I recommend.

Opinion... unless your carrying in a combat zone, or a LE in CQC, do you really need a cocked and locked condition for EDC to Walmart or to gas up the family car?

Myself, around home I carry a pocket 380 in case a wayward coyote would wander inside my given perimeter. When I leave home, first and foremost I avoid known danger areas, every town has them, I just go around. All my Rambo moves died when they stopped showing reruns. Otherwise, I carry one of my 1911's, chamber empty, hammer down, full magazine. So far, 69 years, and I'm still here, I either live a charmed life, or my plan is still working, and I've never had reason to shoot anyone since leaving the south pacific theater.

·
Registered
269 Posts
>>Myself, around home I carry a pocket 380 in case a wayward coyote would wander inside my given perimeter. When I leave home, first and foremost I avoid known danger areas, every town has them, I just go around.

Not trying to be argumentative, but if you know where all the danger is more power to you. Stay away from schools, Walmart, Safeway, Luby's cafeterias and movie theaters I guess.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a couple of Galco Miami Classics and a "Jackass Leather"[forerunner of Galco]. The older Miamis,had the strap for between the hammer carry the newer,which advertise that you should carry with the strap behind the hammer, both have the SAME length safety strap!The difference is liability and lawyers.I've seen no need to change from between the hammer carry. Jeff Cooper said something to the effect that,"any fool can reach his own level of incompetence". Nick

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been pretty comfortable with my EDC Ed Brown Kobra Carry for OWB using a Galco Fletch C&L with thumb strap. When I carry IWB I have found the Dun Hume H715M TB C&L to be very good. Easy on the pocket book doesn't hurt either.

I must admit that it took a while to be at ease with myself carrying a 1911 C&L but using all that is available to you in as far as the three safeties go, not much safer. Practice Practice Practice to set your muscle memory is the key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.