Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the Colt Commandos has a tight cylinder. It's hard to turn compared to the other one. I've been oiling it and soaking with Kroil but it's not getting any looser.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: Tight cylinder on Commando

could we have a little more detail on the problem,the cyl is hard to turn when ??

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I'd say you have 60 year old cosmoline still in the tight areas of the gun. Soak it in solvent or gasoline for a couple of days working the tight areas every 8-12 hours. That should loosen it up. Lube it when it's free.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

[ QUOTE ]
could we have a little more detail on the problem,the cyl is hard to turn when ??

[/ QUOTE ]

The cylinder is hard to turn when it is swung out. It turns hard when closed also. The other revolver is much easier to turn.

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts

Sounds to me like hardened lubricant in the cylinder shaft. Take Addicted's advice and soak the cylinder in solvent to dissolve it. If that does not work, dissamble it and look for some damage or alterations, such as a ham-handed attempt to reduce end shake or the like.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This may be obvious but I've never removed a cylinder from a Colt of this era before. What is the procedure?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

useing a correct size gunsmith screwdriver remove the crane lock screw on the right side of the revolver, it will draw the crane lock out as it`s turned. open the cyl. and turn as required to clear the frame and slide the assy. forward and off. if the screw does not easily loosen STOP!. it helps to have a bench block but a piece of wood with a cut out for the cyl will allow the gun to lay flat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Tight cylinder on Commando (fixed)

Fixed. I propped the gun upright and hit the cylinder rod joint for a couple of days with Kroil and tonight after removing my plastic grips I applied some gentle heat with a heat gun. Freed right up. A little oil while it was warm and it is just as slick as you know what. I guess these two had been stored for a long time and the oil or grease had thickened up.

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I didn't have to mess with the crane or any screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts