Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
So THAT is how they sold em. I bought mine with a firearm wrapped around it. This leads me to ask: Were barrels and collet bushings matched at the factory or were the tolerances close enough +/- that any barrel and bushing from the same manufacturing run would be good to go? Thinking the second but perhaps there is insight of which I am unawares.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The collet bushing was introduced to do away with the hand fitting required for a tight barrel to bushing fit
Of that I'm aware, the question was: due to tolerance(s) were barrels and collet bushings matched for fit ? (assuming they were out of the same floor production run). It's the design engineer background in me that has seen fit failures even during same period manufacturing floor operations that prompts this question. (The ole ANSI Y14.5 tolerancing specifications etc).

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Of that I'm aware, the question was: due to tolerance(s) were barrels and collet bushings matched for fit ? (assuming they were out of the same floor production run). It's the design engineer background in me that has seen fit failures even during same period manufacturing floor operations that prompts this question. (The ole ANSI Y14.5 tolerancing specifications etc).
There would be no matching of the collet bushing to a particular tolerance barrel or vice versa. The spring fingers of the collet bushing provided the correct tolerance.

Another time capsule from WWII.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So THAT is how they sold em. I bought mine with a firearm wrapped around it. This leads me to ask: Were barrels and collet bushings matched at the factory or were the tolerances close enough +/- that any barrel and bushing from the same manufacturing run would be good to go? Thinking the second but perhaps there is insight of which I am unawares.
I'm looking for the rest of the gun to go with it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.