Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the crappy pics but I just got home from my running today. Found this beautiful '51 commercial, unfired outside the factory in box with brush, paper, etc. Wiped some of the old dried grease off the slide for the pic. The stuff that looks like it may be rust in the pic is old grease, just need to give it a nice cleaning. Guy has two more of these he is supposed to bring out next week for me. Really stoked about this one.

Was looking for another cz and found this thing. Never heard of one before but the fit and feel was so nice I had to pick it up. When have the Swiss made bad mechanical items?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Outstanding scores!

That Solothurn is an excellently made gun. The original Czech guns are very good. If anything, the Swiss made version is probably better.
I especially like the 1951 Govt. Model.

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
Nice package! Is the serial number written on the bottom of the box? If so, in what color of grease pencil? (I have seen red or orange, white and black, and am trying to figure out of there is a period pattern.)

While I said I was giving up on the nomenclature wars, I guess I cannot. The last M1911A1 was built in 1945. Pictured is a Government Model (note the end label), NOT a 1911A1! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am sure that the Swiss made 9mm is a good gun but that Colt Government is a beauty! I wish that Colt would make one like that today; carefully polished flats, small lettered rollmarks, deep blue.... So where are the poor pics that you are apologizing for?

·
Registered
355 Posts
That Colt is as good as it gets. BTW, I bought a new AT84 back when they were first available. Mine immediately broke something, been so long I can't remember what it was. The dealer got the importer to replace the gun. IIRC, I just got a refund from the dealer when the new AT84 came in. They were Tangfolios and good looking guns, but I was not impressed with the quality. I had a couple of the Pre B CZ 75s. A much better gun iMHO...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am amazed that the grips have not shrunk and aren't pulling against the screws. A great example. Thank you for sharing.
That raises a good point. I know the grips used on the Colts in the early 50's were not very prone to shrinking because they were made of a different plastic. But they also had a mottled appearance and were a different color like the grips on my 51 Commander. Judge...were the grips different on the commander from the GM of the same year back then?

Colt Picture Gallery in the Photo Section #795

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So… at the risk of hurting Rob's feelings…are those original 51 grips on his new GM?
Rob…I promise I'm not trying to rain on your parade..the gun is beautiful. Grips can be replaced.

Here are the mottled grips I was referring to on this 51 Commander.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.