Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K.C. has one chamber that is a hair out of time--at full cock, the chamber is just shy of the cylinder lock falling into place. If I just barely touch the cylinder, it will lock. I'd like to fix this myself. Do I just need a new hand? Should I add some material to the end of the hand? Something else? Thanks!

Kevin

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,707 Posts
A new hand PROBABLY would be needed, but I can't be certain without seeing the gun.
The problem might be related to the ejector assembly instead of the hand.

DO NOT attempt to add metal to the hand, or try to stretch it.
The KC guns are intended to have parts replaced NOT refitted.

First, the hand will shatter if you try to stretch it, and second, the length isn't the critical dimension, WIDTH is the critical dimension.

The KC hand is more similar in operation to the S&W than it is to the Python-type Colts. It's the width of the hand that determines indexing, not length, which is non-critical on the KC.

As a start, I'd buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Vol. TWO.

This has a really complete description of action work on the Colt "J", "V", and "AA" frame guns like the King Cobra.

This will allow you to diagnose the exact problem, and repair it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DFarris. It's funny, but even though I have never met you, I knew you'd come through based on the great work you've done on these boards, and the other questions you've answered for me.

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts