Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may want to sell my Python on GB, AA or otherwise. Does anyone have tips for beginning sellers, so that I may avoid any possible pitfalls? I'm a pretty seasoned eBay seller/buyer, but any intel I may get would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
323 Posts
GSJon
First, take LOTS of close-up pictures, and furnish a thorough, detailed description. Ads without GOOD photos are quickly scanned-over and ignored. A good, clear background and proper lighting are essential. Be prepared to answer questions honestly and completely. Accept USPS money orders. Don't assume that the stupid prices you see on auction sites are actual sale prices; They're not. Price your Python realistically, after surveying gun-show offerings. Have a trusted FFL available to assist you in your transfer, and finally...Pack it for shipping like a gorilla will be tossing it off a tall building.
Hope this helps.
Don

·
Registered
705 Posts
Be honest in your listing, don't make it out to be something that it is not, and roll the dice. You never know who will answer your ad. Why not sell it on one of these forums? I think you have a good selection of people and you will save listing fees.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've spent hours trying to master GOOD photography and I'm still not happy with the results. I'm holding off on some auction listings until I can get some decent photo's. I agree, outstanding photo's sell the gun and can command a 10-20% premium over a gun with a poor photo.

Reserves is a turn off and a extreme starting prices.

·
Registered
323 Posts
BBBS is right on...Use this forum or one of the others. You'll probably find a better-focused audience for the gun you want to sell.
Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone that responded.

Would "Gauging Interest" threads be allowed in the Classifieds section to see if the price for my Python would be worth parting with it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why not keep it??

All there is is what we already have, or is currently for sale... there will(supposedly) be no more. (Unless China picks up the torch /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)
I wish i still had all of the colts i sold 20 years ago!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a thing against keeping "Safe Queens", as they're referred to. My grandfather taught me that all firearms (at least all the firearms that I'm going to get) are meant to be fired and used. That's not saying to neglect them, but my grandfather didn't have a single safe queen in his collection and all his firearms were beautiful. It irks me to have a firearm sitting there and not being used for its intended purpose.

However, I also respect the collectibility of certain items. As such, I'd rather a collector have the firearm so it can be cared for as it should be. The fact Colt won't be making any more DA revolvers further reinforces the fact I should have a collector take it off my hands.

My reasons are somewhat twisted, and I understand most won't agree with me. That's fine, but who's going to complain if I put a nice Python back on the market? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
759 Posts
I suspect that if you had your email address in your profile, you would already have some offers. Just list it in the classified section of this forum at a resonable price, and it will be gone very quickly.

You do realize that the odds are very good that whoever buys it will be out on the range within an hour of receiving it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I do. But, it wouldn't be me responsible for the degradation of the Python's collectible status. Trust me, the urge is there to go right out to the range and fire a few boxes of ammo and see just how accurate these revolvers are.

Problem is, if I did I'd be hooked and wind up shooting it all the time. I just know it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still wondering if Gauging Interest threads are allowed in the Classifieds section of this site.

I spent some time cleaning up the Python last night and I'd like to put up some good pics as well. Need to find a good backdrop, however. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts