Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost everyone under the age of 50 that holds my Official Police or even my wee Detective Special says almost instantly: "Gosh that's heavy."

I'm thinking "SERIOUSLY?!!!"

If the gun is not a plastic tupperware semi auto or a scandium airweight woman's gun it's "heavy"

Heavy is a .357 Magnum service gun. Heavy is a .44 Magnum. Heavy is a S&W Nframe M-28or M-29 or a S&W 500.

A simple .38 Service Revolver and snubnoseis not"heavy" A littel weight behind a gun is a good thing for me

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do get amused at those too young to have their choices of a carry piece limited to something other than polymer. For many years I carried a full size 1911, Browning HiPower, K frame Smith 357, etc......and never felt weighted down. And I ain't exactly Schwartzenegger.

I never understood complaining about a few ounces in a handgun, or a pound or two in a rifle, considering bodyweight varies more than that on a week to week basis.

Until I got old. :(

Reactions: Chicago

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I got a great deal on a Smith Model 19-7 because the previous owner, admittedly an older gent, thought it was "too heavy".

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I love this thread! "Doug.38PR" did an excellent job bringing up this subject. I love the older "heavy guns" and I have had other shooters say the same thing to me that "they would sure hate to carry that pistol". I am 64, carry a full size Sig or a full size 1911 and don't think they are heavy. I feel they add stabilization to the firearm at the range.

Unfortunantly, quality like the older Colts are out of style today; folks want plastic that will not last the years like steel has.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I agree with Abwehr. The stouter the caliber, the heavier I want the gun to be. It's a lot more comforting to shoot a so-called recoil tamer than a lightweight that whips your hands all over the airspace. :cool:

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Good! I'm tried of seeing the concealed carry handgun market striving for "ever-smaller, ever-lighter." Light weight is not a positive attribute. If 6 oz. saved between a steel Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolver and an Airweight is all that important to a person then they need to hie themselves to a physical therapist. It's ridiculous.

I like a little weight and some decent ergonomics. A lot of popular guns these days have neither.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Perhaps the difference is that many are carried and seldom, if ever, shot.

los dos centavos mios, no mas.

rayb

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Perhaps the difference is that many are carried and seldom, if ever, shot.

los dos centavos mios, no mas.

rayb
Y no menos....I think you're right Ray. Two of my children from CO surprised me Saturday by driving down for my B'Day. Hadn't seen my "little girl" in 4 years and son in 2 or so. Anyhoooo, between rain events we shot my 2 4" Troopers. My daughter had never held much less shot a handgun and at 10 yards she was putting 4 out of 6 in the center silhouette. Never once did she say "this is heavy dad". It's all perception I reckon once someone has handled one of the plastic fantastic or an Airweight. Me? I like some heft to a handgun as it is superior in handling perceived recoil over those 11oz wrist breakers ;)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Thank you Smith & Wesson, for moving forward into the 21st century and offering a 10 ounce revolver for concealed pocket carry. And Taurus, thank you for making a 10-shot 20 ounce adjustable sighted and affordable double action revolver.

There's a reason some companies prosper, while others have difficulty :rolleyes:

John Gross

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Guess I missed the point in my 'older & heavier' thing #13 above, so here's a more up-to-date take on that.

My 'older & heavier' (quite a bit of both) & maybe most effective, my .45 New Service snub with it's de-barked stags.

My Ruger LCR .38 Special (lighter & modern) maybe as effective in getting it into action quicker & I can walk straight ahead instead of always steering to the left to offset the weight of the .45.

Shooting DA with either, at 89 I'm still capable of pinpoint accuracy of group of pie plate at ten feet, despite punishing recoil of the LCR with +Ps.

For back-up if needed I'd grab my old 18 inch Winchester '97 with 00 buck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think there's a question that heavier guns simply have more inertia, and hold on target better than light ones. This is probably most aptly demonstrated for me with various .22s. I am considerably more accurate with a Match Target or Browning Medalist than I am with a pencil barrel Woodsman or a Ruger 22/45 light, and it isn't that they group so much better. I probably shoot that Ruger the worst of any pistol I own, but add the weight of the can and it's one of my best. I carry very light handguns, but I shoot much better with heavy ones. I'm just too lazy and hedonistic to carry a big heavy pistol in my pants. If I'm actually expecting a fight I'm not going to be sporting a handgun.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am going to swim up water on this one. First I carried a average of 60 hours a week for over 35 years. 2nd, I was always big and heavy but since I retired almost 14 years ago I got even fatter. Third, when I did carry on my job I had a large gun belt. Now when I carry its usualy a light smith J frame. I own about 25 handguns that would be considered "good" carry guns. Two pythons, a 2 1/2" & 4", 4" old model trooper, A couple of SAA`s in 4 3/4", a customised remington rand and a big buch of smiths in all frames, J, K, and N. A 5" 29-2, a 24-3 and 25-5 that are in 4"s. A 3" 66-3 etc. The last 10 years or so at work I wore color coded suspenders to help hold my pants up Now I wear them all the time. I have the CC permit and when I do carry its usualy a s&w model 40 that I just put in my front pocket. Sometimes I pack a s&w model 36 3" with the light tapered barrel. Okay. As said I own two of the finest revolvers available, the 3" 66-3 that is a K frame smith, probley the best one they ever made and most sought after. I also own a beautiful 2 1/2" nickle python that is in the same class. I dont pack it as its worth too much to scuff up. Now were I to carry it I would carry it with P+ .38 ammo. Okay, I have a light 3" smith that weighs a little more than half what the python does. Shoots the same ammo.
I suspect 90 % of the people on this site never carried for a living. Frankly for most, carrying is still a "novelty". The revolver or pistol that weighs half as much wins out for me. Now what little activity I do is rideing a quad in the boonies. That is the main activity that I do. When I do, I carry larger, usualy a .44 special or .45 colt. But even then I seldom pack it on my belt as I have it handy in a box or bag right near my hand. Here is what I do pack in the smiths, and the secound two is the best of the best but weigh double.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
A s&w 24-3 in .44 special and a s&w 25-5 in .45 colt go with me sometimes rideing the atv. Usualy a converted HD smith gets carried a lot in .33 special.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My wife and I were in a LGS recently when two guys in their early twenties were there discussing guns. They were around 6 feet and 180 pounds each. One of them pointed to a 4" Ruger GP100 .357 magnum hanging on the wall. He said, "My buddy has one of those. I shot six rounds from it and my hand and arm were numb for several days. I will never shoot one of those beasts again. They are way too heavy to carry." The other guy said, "I wouldn't even try shooting one."

My 5 foot tall petite senior citizen wife was laughing at them. She qualifies with and carries an S&W 640 or S&W Pro Series 60 in .357 magnum. I am 67 with arthritis and I still smile when I shoot my .44 magnum revolvers or my Desert Eagle 50 AE. My EDC is one of my 5" government size 1911s in .45 ACP or 10mm on my belt. My woods carry gun is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. My hunting handgun is a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts