Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I saw an add for a Police positive target in .22 WMR, serial puts DOB at 1910. She's described as having a loose cylinder, no finish and no rust for $199. I'm good with doing some work and putting some cash in the gun. My question is can the parts I would need to fix it be found? I'm hoping it would just need bolt and a maybe a worn cylinder catch or latch pin whatever its called Sorry my terminology is off I'm new to revolvers. I'm still waiting on pics should have em' tomorrow. Main thing for me is I want to shoot it........Eventually. I don't want to buy a lost cause.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I agree with John; by the time you fix everything you may well be into the gun for more than if you bought a newer, better firearm.

·
Registered
737 Posts
locdun, look carefully. Are you sure of the .22 WMR? I have a 1912 PP Target in .22 WRF. They are not the same .I'm not sure when the .22 WMR[Magnum] first became available but 1910 seems too early for the Mag. More expertise to follow,I hope,from those that know way more than me. Nick

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I'm quite sure it's a Winchester Rim Fire, a fairly obsolete round. Though you can buy ammo for it, at least one maker has special runs. Otherwise, it would be a shelf queen. And if the condition is that poor, don't waste your time. I bought a pretty nice one in 22LR a few years ago for just $80 more, and I can shoot it and it looks nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad that was a typo on my part. The fingertips sometimes get away from me wrf is what i meant to put. I know the deal with the ammo is well..... iffy. I just thought it might just be fun to work on but like smokey said if its gonna cost way more to fix it than I can get something ready to go for, its gonna be a no on my part.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I really like the Police Positive Targets. They are my favorite Pre-War DA Colt. The gun in question might be a fun project gun if it was chambered in .22. However, it's chambered in .22 WRF so I would pass and wait for something better. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Too much "deferred maintenance" to be worth $199. Seems a shame to abandon an old Colt but really the seller's the one causing the old thing to go unloved by fixing such a price on it.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Yeahhh...unless it was well under a Hundred Bucks AND you were wanting to learn Gunsmithing on the older Colt DAs...I would pass.

By the time they are that worn out, there are many internal parts, as well as Cylinder Bushings and Ratchet which will need to be replaced and carefully fitted. even used ( and probably not able to be fitted ) parts will run hundreds, and new or un-used or 'NOS' parts are much more expansive and hard to come by, and they too would require to be 'fitted' so...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would still take a look at the gun anyway. One mans 50% finish could be an others 80%. You never know until you actually see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts