Colt Forum banner

To Desert Eagle .44 mag or not?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  deserttrans 
#1 ·
Walked into one of the local stores and saw a 44 mag desert eagle.

Have very little knowledge of these and have never fired one. They want 1250 for it. It's hard chrome and in good condition.

#5 ·
I have one in 44 mag. I use it for bowling pins tournaments, works great. Mine is a mark xii...the newer ones have a built in picatinny top strap. Lots of haters of the DE, if you are just buying it for the cool factor, it will wear off fast. I place in tournaments regularly, so it's doing something right! I also have a 10 inch BFR in 30-30. It's a deer killing machine! As mentioned above, no straight lead bullets.

#6 ·
I love the Desert Eagle. I have three of them. The 357, 44 and 50AE versions. I started with the 44 and everyone said "is that a 50AE?" So I bought a 50AE. Later I ran into a deal on the 357 so I have three. They are accurate, pleasant to shoot and usually have decent triggers. They are gas operated so as someone already said, stay away from lead bullets. DE's like good stout ammunition to make them operate. There is a list provided in the owners manual to tell you what kinds of factory ammo works best.

Older versions of the Desert Eagle are MK1 and MKXII. The most current configuration is a MK XIX. The MKXIX model can be easily converted from 44 to 50 AE with a magazine and a barrel change. They can also be converted to 357 but require a bolt change as well as a barrel and magazine change to make that happen. All my pistols are MKXIX models.

Here is a link to tell you what version of Desert Eagle you are looking at:

https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/Distinction_MarkI-XIX.pdf

The 44 is fun but the 50AE is the best caliber in this pistol. You cannot shoot a magazine without a big smile on your face! The DE is just fun. You can legally hunt deer and other animals in many states with this pistol also. 44 and 50AE is much more affordable if you reload.

When I buy a used Desert Eagle, I order a spring kit and replace all the springs. Many people have problems if your springs are weak or your ammunition is weak. Magnum Research spring kits are available from Midway, Brownells and other retailers.

Here are my three Desert Eagles:

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.