Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my first Python and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. I've shot it once and it shoots absolutely amazing. So naturally I want to shoot it a lot. But I'm new to these and don't want to do something I'd regret in the future. I don't think it is anything special (at least for a Python, I know they are all special). Based on the serial# I think it's a 1979. I don't have a box or any papers for it, and the finish could be better. I do reload everything I shoot so I can taylor those to be easier on the gun. How many of you guys shoot the hell out of your Pythons? 20180101_192216.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I shoot the Python here. I got it to shoot and enjoy back before Python prices got silly. For me there is no joy in owning a gun that can't be experienced through shooting it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shoot the daylights out of it and keep it clean. It will neither gain or lose anymore than if you just kept it in your safe. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Shoot the snot out of it. As far as not having the Colt box is concerned, I found they are useless for mailing Christmas cookies in, Colt box sizes are terrible for mailing items.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'd shoot it all you want. It's condition is a good category for just using it, and any minor wear won't bring down the value much, after they are below about 97%, to me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice looking Python. I would be more concerned about wearing myself out before that Colt. A steady diet of midrange wadcutters will keep both you and the Python going.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
I load a reduced 158 cast lead SWC at 11-1150 FPS for my bulk .357 shooting. Truth be told I am still firing about 90% of the time a plus P 38 load at 900 FPS in my .357s. My pythons get fired no more or no less than my other Colts.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
This is a question really only you can answer.

I have guns that I shoot. I have guns that I have never shot and never will. I enjoy both types in different ways.

·
W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius
1,165 Posts
I have Shot Mine since January of 1979, at least 50 rounds a year at least and many years many many more than that.
Always Cleaned and lubed afterwards.

Most of the time I leave the Carbon on the Cylinder face, But sometimes I have cleaned it as well.

I Think it looks dam good yet.

Reactions: Primer88

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Would you consummate your marriage a single time?

Reactions: Signal_20

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm a collector - I collect firearms to shoot and enjoy. So to the OP have fun and go shoot because life is too short to not enjoy Colt Python revolvers.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts