Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an unfired Colt Frontier Scout Kansas Centennial 1961 Commerative .22 gold plated revolver w/ wood presentation case. After 40+ yrs. of the original owner wiping off fingerprints the gold plating is wearing thin in places & also shows evidence of dry firing. I really want to shoot this thing, but haven't thinking it might ruin it's value. But I don't think it'll ever be worth much. Right? I'd also like to somehow remove the gold plating & have a nice nickle plated piece. Is this possible. Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
The last Standard Catalog of Firearms I have is a 1998 version.
The Kansas Scout is listed as New-in-the-box at $395.00, with 6197 being produced. Issue price was $75.00 in 1961.

You might be able to sell it for more. Fire it, and it takes a major hit on value.

You can have it de-plated of the gold, and re-plated with nickel. How expensive this would be, I'm not sure.
Any alteration, and any value is gone.

My opinion: If you want a shooter, sell the Kansas model for a good price, and buy a cheaper nickel Scout. Depending on where you get it, a very good condition Scout might go in the $200.00 range. Fire one shot out of the Kansas model, and value is about gone. If you really don't care, shoot away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The commemoratives are hard sellers,they made too many of them.People who do collect them want nothing less than perfect unturned guns with all the original packaging. In the condition you describe,I'd either shoot the gun or sell it. It will be very hard to get a premium for it,you very well might get less than a like condition standard model.With a few exceptions,a NIB standard nickel K-Scout will be bring more and sell easier than most of the more common commemorative models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts