Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beef # 1:
OK, I can accept the need for ads. I hate popups, but one popup I can tolerate. I could "X" it out and be done with it for the rest of my session. But now there are multiple popups, and now they don't stay gone when you "X" them out.
ENOUGH already!

Beef # 2:
When I reply to a post and use the back button to go back to the Forum, I get a message "Do you want to exit this page?" Yes, if I "didn't want to exit this page", I wouldn't have hit the button!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I am not management but in regard to pop-ups they are income and help pay for this forum.It is a necessary evil.We all have to deal with it.In regards to beef #2 it seems to be so small is it worth the stomach acid to even post?I have a idea if all of us became supporting members and gave a little bit of our money to be here maybe the powers that be wouldn't have to accept advertising and they would be gone.Problem solved.JMHO

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
If you go into internet options there should be a place where you can block web pages, ads etc that you don't want to load. When I get a new Ad, I go to that tool and copy and paste the Cookie into the Block this cookie tool and presto they don't show no more. ALSO some of these cookies are tracking cookies and they etract every key stroke and allow your computer to run slower..I block those too..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind ADs, it's the POPUPs I don't like. Can't they put the ads in a corner someplace so they don't cover up what I'm trying to read?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
While we're on the subject...my chair cushion is a bit lumpy!
lol, don't feel bad, i don't even have a cushion :D

regarding popups, the only time i ever see a popup here is if i'm not logged in. if i log in i have zero popups.

the do you want to leave this page function is a normal function on all v-bulletin boards that i frequent. it's not that big a deal really and it's not just a function of the colt forum.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I use a 7 year old Mac; never seen a "popup". Now I'm feeling under priveliged, how come I can't see what everyone is complaining about?

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Err, can't you disable pop-ups within your browser preferences? I'm running Mozilla and I don't get pop-ups at this forum.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Guess I just got lucky with computer set up or something, cause I've never seen a pop-up in 15 months on the forum. I do recall checking the "remember me" box at log-in many months ago.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Explorer and Firefox both have "pop up blockers" that can be activated to do just that. I don't see the pop up ads when I'm on the forum.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I had the exact same problem with popups as you and even posted about it about a year ago. The key was to login and click the keep me logged in button. that ended the popups for me.

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
In over nine years on this forum, I have NEVER seen a pop-up. I have my browser and Norton set to deny pop-ups, so that may be the reason.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Popups are annoying BUT you can simply use a number of tools on your computer to deny the lil buggers. I use Norton only because it always seemed the most stable anti virus/spam product and I can tweak it every which way to avoid popups, intrusions and unreliable websites. Have not had an issue with the pesky things at all so I reckon you should look into what you have on your computer, set the appropriate fields and you're good to go :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I don't get any pop ups on my pc at work or home except for a few every now and then on this site only. They are not large and are at the very bottom and one is Chevrolet. It's only at the bottom of the screen (aprox. 1"-2" tall and in the center of the screen). It's no big deal though, I just x it out. This doesn't happen often but it's the same type pop up and I only get it on this site. Maybe it's when I'm not logged in like above mentioned?? I never noticed but will keep an eye out on it.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
No pop ups here either. I don't get the other warning either.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I don't mind ADs, it's the POPUPs I don't like. Can't they put the ads in a corner someplace so they don't cover up what I'm trying to read?
When I was in the business (computer geek stuff) I dealt with a plethora of issues and charged $50 an hour to make them go away. Since you are an esteemed forum member I'll give you my discounted price and I promise you'll have no more issues :p

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use a 7 year old Mac; never seen a "popup". Now I'm feeling under priveliged, how come I can't see what everyone is complaining about?
This doesn't really help the OP, unless you're suggesting he go out and buy a seven year old Mac.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Lounge, since its not specific to Revolvers?

And oh yeah - I don't see pop-ups. Probably because Firefox blocks them. Perhaps the OP could check his browser settings and see if there's a pop-up blocker?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts