Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping with an estate, lots of Colts and Smiths so this Lone Ruger stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. I couldn't figure out why he bought it, I thought it was a 10.5" .357 magnum. Finally I pulled the box which said .357 MAXIUM! I had never seen one or looked for one so I had to ask (Radicle) Rod about it but I understand now why Billie bought it!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Yup...not something seen every day...neither is the ammunition. At least you can use .38 Special and .357 Mags in it but that kind of defeats the purpose of one of those hand cannons. It's definitely someone worth owning just for the fun of it!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Yelp, I got one several years ago. Ballistics appear to be very similar to today's 350 Legend. A pic of my son shooting a factory Rem 158, from a clip from cell phone video.
He is wearing eye and ear protection.
Kerz and the Max.jpg

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I did some load develpment over last winter using 180 Hornady bullets. The load and gun prove to be nicely accurate. IMR 4227 AT 19.1 grs= 1444 avg fps
180, 19.1 4227, Rem 7.5.jpg

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
A guy I used to work with was big into the Metallic Silhouette game. He had the 10.5" version and swore it was easier to shoot than the 44 Mag he started shooting matches with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
While to 357 Maximum , is a great cartridge and gun platform on its own, it is often used to make a custom revolver due to both the longer main frame and the longer cylinder. I sent one to Alan Harton and he made it into a 414 Supermag 5 shot bisley with a Freedom Arms style top strap just for antelope hunt I was going on.

Other folks use the long cylinder and have it cut down and rechambered to allow for the use of longer and heavier bullets in a normal frame Ruger. This is a 44 mag John Gallagher used a 357 max cylinder on and fit to fill the frame window.

I know Coogs is one of the largest collectors of Max guns and he is always looking for serial number information for his data files.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If I remember correctly they destroyed a number of Maximums they had in inventory when they stopped selling them. Ironically the flame cutting on the bottom of the top strap only occurs to a slight depth then does not get any deeper and it only comes when shooters tried to hot rod the round by shooting light bullets as fast as they could get them to go. The Maximum was designed to launch heavy 357 style bullets at moderate speeds without excessive recoil and it was first used on the firing line of silhouette shooting. The fact that the frame is longer and is the only alternative to a bisley gripped maximum or supermag chambered guns means many do get modified. Often on these guns the new cylinder is a five shot configuration due to the size of the round so the unused Max cylinders are always in demand for use on regular framed guns but with the longer cylinder rechambered and fit to fill the frame window.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Over the last several years, I have fallen in love with the 357 Maximum.

I shoot 95% 100-200 yard steel gongs and bells. The Maximum seems perfect for this game. I handload with 19.5gr 4227 and the 180g as well. Very little drop and group accuracy is under 4" at 100 yards all day long. The recoil is easily manageable and much less than my 44mags. Velocities go from 38's doing 700fps, to the 357mag doing 1400fps, to the Maximum doing 1800fps. Bullet weights from 115gr to 200gr.

The 357 Maximum is my favorite all around caliber as are the hawglegs that handle it. I also have Dan Wessons Super Mags, essentially the same as the Maximum with a different name; Elmer Keith got it from David Bradshaw's garbage. Ruger deserves the title of First. Dumb ass gun writers didn't get their ass kissed and did what they could to destroy the Max. Stupid is as stupid does. Don't think fake news is limited to the mainstream.

I also have a Magnum Research Lone Eagle, and several T/C's; Contenders, G2's (from the Bellm's), and Encore rifles in the Maximum.
My favorite wheelgun may be the United Sporting Arms Silverado 10" in 357 Max. It has the IHMSA logo on the top strap. These are all spectacular firearms.

Ringing steel and getting that instant audio feedback is absolutely the most fun I have shooting. and the Maximum is the perfect caliber for it.

So Yes, I am totally prejudiced fan boy, but - Anyone who has a chance to own one of these and doesn't; missed the best purchase of their life.

They don't make them anymore, get em while you can. Prices heading upward.

Prescut

1 - 14 of 14 Posts