Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, today while with a friend I found 2 Colt revolvers for sale. One is an Official Police in .38 Spl for $359. Might be a little high I don't know. It has honest wear but still not a bad gun. what is it worth?

#2 is a Trooper. I know it's not a Mk IV, seems older. Probably a very early model, $215 for this one. Probably as worn as the Official Police but is it a bargain? Just says Trooper on the barrel and no Mk anything. The ejector rod is exposed, no shroud. Very tight lockup, in fact it almost seems like it has a double lockup. Are any of these bargains?

[This message has been edited by joed (edited 11-07-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Unless the O.P. is a pre war gun,a rare bbl. length(like 2") nickle,or has box & papers,price seems about 75-100 dollars too high. Seems as if you made up for that on the pre-69 Trooper! The .22s are rare,.38s next rarest,then the .357 most common. Nickle finish will also bring a premium. Most average shape,pre Mk.IIIs & Mk.Vs are $300 and UP,as they have the old style leaf spring action. So,without seeing the pieces,you "averaged out",I think,fine. Bud

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't bought either yet, just curious about what they're worth. The Trooper is a gun I know nothing about. This one is .357 and actually feels like it has a double lockup. I'm no expert but I thought Troopers didn't have a double lockup.

Glad someone responded, thanks. I may jump on the Trooper.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I jumped on the Trooper, I think it was to good to pass up at $215.

The serial is 389XX, anyone got an idea when made or other info?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your Trooper was a 1963 model. I don't think they are all that rare in .38sp as that was their original chambering. The .357mag was added when the "357" was dropped from production. I have ran into right many Troopers in .38sp over the years.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this early Trooper have the double lockup like other Colts? I was surprised at how tight it locked.

Is it alright to feed it .357 ammo or should I stay with .38 Spl?

Don't know much about Troopers but it is the first Colt I ever handled when a friend bought a Mk III. When I handled my first Python I was hooked on Colts.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Trooper is often called "The Poorman's Python" since it uses the same frame and action as the Python.

In fact, the Python is really just a Trooper with a ribbed and lugged barrel, a better polished blued job, and a hand fitted and honed action.

Your Trooper will handle unlimited .357 Magnum ammo.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the education on Troopers. I now own this one, that makes Colt #4.

I was concerned that this gun came with Pachmar grips and the originals weren't included. However, it occured to me that I have a pair of grips for this gun that came on the Python I bought last year. At least I have the correct grips for one gun.

I'm still in the market for a set of early Python grips. If anyone sees any for sale please let me know. I missed the last pair on GunBroker by minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts