Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usually don’t stand up real straight for Colt commemorative guns, although I do own a few. This one caught my eye. “TOTUS” serialized series 70 Colts. Basically the current Colt 1911-C without bluing “stainless” with some laser engraving, 500 units. I think this is a commemorative that’s gonna be a popular success, as it doesn’t have delicate gold accents and such.. done tasteful , usable, and it certainly means something . Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier is a Military Monument near and dear to American hearts. The tomb guards. I mean.. c’mon. I was a color guard at one of my training stations back in my Navy day, and I’ve always felt that “The Old Guard” tomb soldier guard is more than an icon.

i put my money where my good tooth lives… and secured one . Does come with a commemorative coin and extra set of wood grips too. Standard plastic blue box packaged. ( not the box seen in the pic).

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
What a coincidence: I was looking around LGSs earlier this week, and they had TOTUS-192. Even though I normally don't like commeratives, this is one of the few exceptions. I'm seriously considering getting it.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are already inflated GB listings for this gun in the $3K and up range. $5K. $8K.
But.. it’s still new enough that it can be found reasonably priced at the moment to those interested.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A guy at a public range where i visit on occasion has one, I have been looking to purchase one and i know i will soon.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s what I’m seeing for LGS prices as well. Except one shop near me that lists online. They went ahead and put extra ink on the price tag. :(

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Back to the Colt, I like the idea of the gun. And I kinda like the gun. Been looking at better quality photographs of it that what we're seeing on GB. I'm trying not to be overly critical, but 500 pistols is a limited number of guns. So if Colt is going to create such a limited run, I believe they should have made it worth the price, and even more so, worth what some greedy (to me) sellers are already asking for one. I see one on GB that the seller is asking $8,995.99 for. Seriously? If he's a legitimate dealer, then he's lost his mind.

But again, for such a limited run, I'd like to see better quality hand engraving from the factory. Particularly the panel showing the guard and tomb on the top of the slide. It looks almost cartoonish to me, somewhat reminiscent of the style of those "America Remembers..." commemoratives where pistols were made to honor just about any event. The quality on the coin looks better than that on the gun. The stocks look like Altamont work. Nothing wrong with Altamont, mind you, just don't want them on a pistol that could have been more collectible if done a bit better.

I suppose I could see up to $2K for one. Beyond that? No, I don't think so. As I said, it's a great idea, just not executed all that well. My opinion. Just looks a bit too run-of-the-mill for my tastes. And the plain ol' cheap looking blue plastic case doesn't add a thing that makes it as special as it could have been. I hope this isn't the beginning of a new trend from Colt. As much as people are wanting Colts these days, they can do better. But I guess I should be grateful they're still in business?

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J2D, yeah this gun’s craftsmanship is no where in the realm of the price it will demand once the availability dwindles, although some sellers did start the price there.
The look is supposed to resemble marble monument, and I have to say that the grips, and the engraving is to emulate the inscriptions and designs on granite gravestone. .. and does look a little overly simple from years ago.. (although new headstones/gravestones can be amazingly detailed, artistic, and realistic.)
i think this gun is the current type work that Colt is doing now. it’s not a custom shop gun that we would typically see ten years ago with some parts hand fitted and engraving done with a name behind the work.
My observation since the release of the 2017 “new Cobra” that moved towards standard simplified production of the new king cobras, new pythons, and new anacondas,and new 1911’s .

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Maybe I missed it but is this like a Talo product or is it totally a Colt idea?

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Interesting they put a NM,National match barrel in it. The TOS is really unique,I hate to think of a future where this Monument would be subject to destruction by the woke generation or other misguided types. Pete

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far I haven’t been able to find anything saying it’s a Talo with anything that came with the gun, and nothing on Talo’s website as yet. The only thing that I’ve found is a YouTube video from one seller‘s review that said they think it is.. but didn’t know. So I would say it’s Colt, not Talo.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unlike most other monuments, the TOTUS monument is guarded by the TOTUS guards that is part of Third Army regiment, so they are carrying real rifles I’m sure, and have authorizations to keep those tombs guarded.
you can do a quick search on YouTube and check out video of what happpens when someone crosses the set boundaries towards the tomb. Also, the guard will even maintain a respectful, quiet, and solemn environment at all times. You can tell when a guard actually has to speak out to someone, they mean business !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts