Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first SAA about 4 months back. I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt. Go ahead and judge me. Lol

It was a current production 3rd gen. When I got it home, I thought I could live with some of its flaws.

First, it had a canted front sight, with a good lean on it. The top was apparently filed flat to give a square sight picture from the rear.

It had a very rough finish on the top of the trigger guard where it met the frame. Also, the rear of the left side of the trigger guard was overly rounded and left a gap between it and the grip panel.

Neither grip was lined up square with the frame.

The cylinder had a chamber where the number (a "6") was stamped too close to a chamber and bulged it a bit out of round.

There were a few songs at the back of the cylinder, which may or may not have come from the factory. Seller swore the cylinder was unturned (no marks in leads).

I contacted Colt, and they had me send it in. Pat gave me a call and asked me which issues were most pressing for me. I stated that the cylinder issues and the squareness of the grip were number one. I also stated that the overly rounded trigger guard bothered me, as well as the rough finish.

He stated that if they could not correct the issues, he would consider a replacement/ refund. He also told me to expect a follow up call.

Fast forward three months, and I received the gun back. They corrected the issue with the roughness of the trigger guard, but it was the same overly rounded one. The cylinder was re-blued, with the dings still visible (looked acceptable, and you could only see them if you knew they were there). The grip fit was unaddressed. There was still a gap at the front and top.

I told them that I was unsatisfied, and I sent the pistol back for a refund.

Am I being too picky? Are crooked front sights normal? What do I look for / expect when buying a new SAA? Is this just the wrong gun for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If you bought new from a dealer you have a right to be picky. Three months is a long time to decide you can't live with the flaws you mentioned, I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That's not to say that I don't own any SAA's with flaws, but I knew of them from the start and didn't really care as long as it shot straight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I noticed them within the first week of actually owning it. I was looking at pictures online of SAA models to see if what I had appeared common, and it did not. The three months was how long the gun was away at Colt. I contacted them to arrange a refund a day after I received it back.

Ultimately, I think I am in the market for a new one. I would Just like to see detailed pics if buying online with at least some type of “inspection” period.

On the topic of shooting straight, was the canted sight intentional? In an odd way, it looked as if the base was off center and they bent the top back to center.

·
Registered
37 Posts
to each his own, its your gun and if you want to be picky, its your right to be.

Me ? I am willing to pass up some issues since I shoot the thing a LOT and it will get dinged up no matter how careful I am. But I also don't care about the resale value since my daughter will have to worry about that after I am gone. If you want a perfect gun, you deserve one, end of story. Just not sure that Colt is up the perfect gun task any more.

Reactions: lounick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well thanks, I am feeling less crazy so far. I shoot everything too. No collector's items here. I am careful with my stuff and I just like it to be proper out of the box.

My hard use guns are plastic. Glock, S&W M&P, HK and Walther.

·
Registered
631 Posts
“I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt.”
IMO opinion you’re certainly not being too picky. But in all seriousness, if you’re after the best made “SAA” on the market...you need to reconsider you’re previously stated position.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
“I went with a Colt because I have 2 Colt 1911's, and for me, some guns are only Colt.”
IMO opinion you’re certainly not being too picky. But in all seriousness, if you’re after the best made “SAA” on the market...you need to reconsider you’re previously stated position.
Hmm, thinking Standard Manufacturing? My only gripe is the that none of the other SAA’s out there (that i’m aware of) are 100% dimensionally correct to the colt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That SAA should have been sent back to Colt!! I still maintain that recently built SAA's are inferior to those from just a couple years ago.
Not sure if my post was too long, but it was. Twice. The second time was for a refund from Colt.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I still maintain that recently built SAA's are inferior to those from just a couple years ago.
I’ll go with this for the win. My two from 1999 and 2003 are great finish wise and other wise. I do wish I had kept this 7-1/2” CH from 2012. I’m not really planning on anymore SA but if I do they are going to be late 3rd Gen Guns from about serial numbers S25000A and stop about S75000A.

Reactions: RDS

·
Registered
631 Posts
“My only gripe is the that none of the other SAA’s out there (that i’m aware of) are 100% dimensionally correct to the colt.”

This is a fair assessment. All of your Italian offerings will deviate from original Colt specs, as will the vast majority of the domestic options (save a select few USFA guns). You’ve obviously done your research on Standard as they are, in fact, producing their single action in accordance with these larger dimensions (I would argue that this decision is well founded). HOWEVER, many, myself included, would submit that this is a small concession to make when one considers the overall fit, finish, functionality (and in some cases price) of some of the non-Colt offerings. This is not to say that Colt isn’t capable of producing a top-tier SAA in 2019...but when buying sight-unseen via online retailer, many on this forum would be FAR more comfortable purchasing a late production USFA or the like, were they after the most authentic “Peacemaker” experience in terms of overall execution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is a beautiful looking SAA. I do see some that look pretty good pop up from time to time. Is the consensus that quality is the exception, not the rule these days?

The Standard Manufacturing guns are beautiful, I am just scared that I will buy it and it may not scratch the Colt itch.

If I wanted a SA for more practical reasons, I would just go with Ruger.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Buyer's remorse is more common when things are very expensive and supposed to be perfect.

But I also think people are considering these guns works of Fine Art, not guns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buyer's remorse is more common when things are very expensive and supposed to be perfect.

But I also think people are considering these guns works of Fine Art, not guns.
I mean when the manual all but says that it is a work of art... lol

I get what your saying, but I think the price is what makes you think that. Look at the level of quality Uberti/ Pietta put out for $350-$400 (a decently built, fully functional pistol, not to add that some look damn fine). At $1900, you have to compare Colt to Standard Manufacturing, and that gun IS a literal work of art. Way more attention to detail as well. Just not a Colt.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
A Single Action still requires some polishing and a little fitting to make. Sadly this hardly exists in gun making anymore. The few talented individuals that still know how to do these things are for the most part gone or are working for themselves. They can make a lot more on their own then they could even at union wages. So at Colt, IMHO..........you have folks trying to build these guns that are not qualified to do so. That does not mean that there are not a few that have caught on, but for the most part are struggling to do it. Add to that how so many now have very little pride (Not just at Colt) in what they do, and..............................bad quality is what you get.

Somehow the folks at Standard Manufacturing have managed to find some people that are "Gun people". They even know what they are doing and seem to take pride in it. I have heard that they have some older craftsmen working for them that have experience in building Single Actions and it shows. How they have pulled this off, I would like to know. But they seem to have done just that.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Some info shared isn't actually correct.

Uberti and the guns that used/use their CNC programs (USFA previous and now Standard) are bigger than a Colt. Side by side it is enough to notice in hand and by eye. Pietta on the other hand is a Colt copy for size.

I don't think you are being picky at all. I look for a lot of things in a $2000 gun. At the moment you can buy a decent 1st Gen Colt, a Standard, a USA made USFA gun and may be 3 or 4 Italian guns for $2000. I know that because I have done it again recently.

I shoot my guns as well. And I use to think the 1st Gen Guns were the "holy grail". That was prior to being able to afford enough of them to reconsider. For many years my only 1st Gen was an heirloom from my Grandfather and it shoots extremely well But recently with a half dozen turn of the Century guns (early 1900+) , all smokeless, it seems Colt was as hit and miss as to what went out of the factory then as they are in more recent times. That is news to me.

1st Gen Colt

I can over look a lot of flaws if the guns shoot well and to point of aim. Early Colt craftsmanship is second to none. But the best from Standard and USFA are right along side them cosmetically, may be even better. But they are totally different guns internally and how they are built. You can think of all the modern versions from any maker (including Colt) as a "paint job" because how they are put together takes a lot less skill than what was required a Colt employee to do it right in 1910.

a Colt, Standard and Uberti

Heresy I know, but as an example, I have a limited amount of ivory stashed away for grips that I bought some time ago. I'd like to shoot it because I appreciate the history of ivory used on a SAA gun and weapons in general. But a gun has to be good enough as a weapon/tool to earn its ivory. I don't add ivory to a gun I shoot just for show. It will have to be a gun I want to keep and shoot a lot. After the last 1st gen gun I bought that is an exceptional shooter, just never that well put together originally by Colt, got sent out for a total rebuild I reconsidered. I have really nice Ubertis that don't require a rebuild or any thing else for that matter. I even considered another Standard now that they have added a two line address to their short barreled guns. Right up till I saw the two line address. But at least their guns shoot as do most late production USFA guns. But the overly large two line adderess killed a sale for me. That is how picky I am on a $2000 gun.

Standard's large roll mark 2 line address...which simple SCREAMS......to me.

You can decide what Persinger carved ivory is worth. I have a few guns to choose from and decided a Uberti that shoots exceptionally well would get some of my last ivory.

A reblued Uberti with carved ivory. Sure there are some details missing on a Uberti. But this one as funky as it might be to someone else sings a sweet melody to me. Thankfully the only one I need to make happy is me. Funny though I'd bet my Grandfather, a working rancher his entire life, would really appreciate this one for what it is a fine looking and very capable tool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cozmo, you take the cake for beautiful SAA's. I think that the Standard checks all of the boxes for my, except it is not a Colt. I love their wood grips, too.

scstrain, where do I find a Pietta like that? Does it have a firing pin mounted on the hammer?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
scstrain said:
…. I just wish there was some way to get rid of those MIM marks on the trigger.
Should be easy enough. Just pull the gun apart and take a file to the MIM injection mark. Then reblue or cold blue. But I'd also wonder if a Colt trigger could be fitted to a Pietta. I haven't tried.

Vicious, thank you. There are members here that have many, many exceptionally nice guns. I like the Standard as well. It is the little details that stop me from buying another. But the upside is they keep adding or changing those little details so I might get another in the future.

My point was, if you are looking at the details and you are picky there should be a single action gun in one form or another that fits your requirements and pocket book perfectly. I am blessed to have to opportunity to see and shoot a lot of different guns. Glad I don't have to pick just one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blessed indeed, sir.

I'm still young, and I (like you and many others) work hard for what I have, so I don't mind spending a little more for something I will have for a my lifetime, and hopefully keep in my family beyond that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts