Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
For a limited budget price the Auto Ordnance M1911A1 is a close reproduction of the WWII M1911A1. I had one of these and it was not too shabby at all.

Other then the higher visibility sights the new Colt Classic is basically the same gun but with post war rollmarks.

The Colt M1991A1 was billed as a continuation of the M1911A1.

Colt offered an actual reproduction but the only one I'd ever seen I would not have bought.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm really happy with the RIA G.I. 1911.
I've owned several, used the frames for other 1911A1 clone builds and retained one as a garage gun for years.
I usually switch out the grips, lap in the slide if necessary and go shoot.
Never paid more than $400 OTD.
There is another brand made in Turkey that is a close clone but I've heard the finish is not durable. Plus I can't get past having the word "Turkey" on the pistol.
Those are really cheap at around $300. 20191130_121016_1581194014901.jpg

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Springfield Armory Mil Spec is not totally GI but close to it. One of my favorite pistols shoot mine quite a bit.. They have a "defender" model they are selling right now- that you can get for about $500 its just the pistol and one mag in a cardboard box evidentally. That (S/A Mil Spec) would be my choice.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defend-your-legacy-series/

RIA are good 1911's and more true to original GI, that would be my 2nd choice.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Over the past week Ive been investigating this Turkish WWII Repro , imported by a company out of Knoxville, TN called SDS. Watched a few YouTube videos on it. So far, nothing but all good things. .. and the best thing is the price. Shopping around can find a low as $339 price tag. (The Turkish to US conversion is likely much in our favor).
All steel gun except the stocks are plastic and very close to original so reviews have said. I think they’re saying it’s the most accurate reproduction.. finish looks correct. shoots great. Eats any ammo fed to it. 1911 parts totally swappable. Series 70 system. I’m seriously thinking about one of these. They’ve been around a while., I just wasn’t looking.
The serial number are aligned with the Turkish companies scheme, but it has the army rollmarks I believe and it does have a small Knoxville TN rollmark near the serial.. which I though was kinda cool. I wish I it was made in America , I’d be buying it off of principle and several more to go with it. Or .. back to reality. It would be at least three times the price and have the Colt on it and I could just afford the one.. so that’s why I’m looking at it.

Website link.

https://www.sdsimports.com/category-s/430118614.htm

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
I have not checked out RIA’s rendition of the WWII 1911. I will do that.
Here’s SDS version with there rollmarks. Looks like they kept it to a minimum of the unwanted.
They got a lot of stuff right that Colt did not on their last “retro”. I can criticize because I did buy one of those Colts. If Colt would make that gun right there, and you could just replace the “Turkey” origin rollmark with Hartford, CT .. add the patent dates, they’d mop it up,

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
I'm really happy with the RIA G.I. 1911.
I've owned several, used the frames for other 1911A1 clone builds and retained one as a garage gun for years.
I usually switch out the grips, lap in the slide if necessary and go shoot.
Never paid more than $400 OTD.
There is another brand made in Turkey that is a close clone but I've heard the finish is not durable. Plus I can't get past having the word "Turkey" on the pistol.
Those are really cheap at around $300. View attachment 680051
I just read your post after I posted about the SDS reproduction made in Turkey. I have not found any reviews that talked about the finish, but that would be a deciding factor for me, so I’m really glad that you mentioned finish. The gun looks really really good as a replica. However, I’m getting one to use.. I don’t know if the finished is parkerized , or cerakoted to look parkerized. I’ve seen two different UPC codes and one costs a bit more. Wondering if they’ve come out with a new sturdier finish, because nothing appears different about the gun. I hope they have because I don’t want a gun that’s gonna look silver shiny metal with a few times in and out of a holster or something.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WWYS, thanks for the info on the SDS! Wasn’t even on my radar but as far as looks go, they pretty much nailed it and like you, I can’t find anything but positive reviews in terms of function and reliability. Turkish or not, it’s definitely at the top of my list at this point. I’ve owned/own both SA and RIA 1911’s and have had nothing but good experiences all around with both manufacturers. But both of them leave a few things to be desired in terms of design details on their 1911A1 repros. Like many in this market, I purchased an original WWII GI, shot it a little...really enjoyed it...then decided I didn’t want to dog it out anymore than necessary. Thus, the search began for a low cost, non appreciating/collectible, alternative.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well, since this IS the Colt forum...I bought this 1911A1 Colt re-issue without box or papers. It had been fired, but not very much. I added some USGI parts and ended up with a genuine Colt, with a lot of GI parts thrown in for authenticity. Grips, mainspring housing, slide stop, safety, trigger, grip safety, firing pin and extractor were added. It's a great shooter, and looks pretty good, too!
Bob

Colt "repro" with a 1943 original (top). Hard to tell them apart

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have one of the discontinued Springfield Armory GI Models. It does have the WW serial number prefix and a date stamp of 2011 under the stocks which I thought was kind of cool.
I bought it very lightly used for around $500 OTD a few years ago. I added a set of fully checkered walnut stocks, replaced the internal lock system mainspring housing with a WWII Remington Rand assembly with a new mainspring and a wide spur hammer from EMC. It has been 100% reliable with hardball, which is all that I have tried in it so far and is probably more accurate than I can hold given the tiny GI sights. It was hard to overcome my prejudice and buy a non-US made M1911A1 type pistol but the Springfields have a good reputation. I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Rock Island or a Tisas version regardless of the price.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts