Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
That Turkish made SDS model is the bees’s knees, especially being made of all-forged parts (as opposed to Brazilian & Philippine castings). At that price I’d jump, if I didn’t already have a Vietnam era GI re-work. It seems to be far & away the most authentic one out there.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well, since this is the Colt forum...I bought this 1911A1 Colt re-issue without box or papers. It had been fired, but not very much. I added some USGI parts, and I ended up with a genuine Colt, with a lot of GI parts thrown in for authenticity. Grips, mainspring housing, slide stop, safety, trigger, grip safety, firing pin and extractor were added. It's a great shooter, and looks pretty good, too!
Bob
Excellent job Bob. The G.I. parts really look nice. I like it!

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
While marketed as a WWI repro I think it's worthy of a look . GI's were definitely carrying a lot of 1911's during WWII .
Colt's latest entry O1911M .

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/1911-black-army
I had a thought about the Colt 1911/GM retro, but an A1 type was more in line with the question, but sure why not.

I personally would be more inclined to get the 1911 over the 1911A1 as I'm a fan of the longer trigger, with the Colt Elite 1911 style being my favorite. I also like the classic frame without the finger cuts.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
That Turkish made SDS model is the bees’s knees, especially being made of all-forged parts (as opposed to Brazilian & Philippine castings). At that price I’d jump, if I didn’t already have a Vietnam era GI re-work. It seems to be far & away the most authentic one out there.
I’ve noticed on Classic firearms website, they have two different UPC codes for what appears to be the same gun, except I’m wondering if slightly lesser expensive is the original .. based off of plenty of reviews for it on other websites, and the other UPC codes gun is a newer finish. The description calls it a “black finish” I think. I dunno. The SDS website is sort of sparse and sheds no light.. only lists one and no UPC code. The classic firearms website actually does a better job listing the gun with multiple views.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Hey Mitch, is the O1918 replica still available? I prefer its rollmarks.
You talking about the mid 2000’s Black Army reproduction or the current Black Army?

I used to know the production numbers of the mid 2000’s 1918 Black Army. Seems like it was between 2000 to 4000 guns. This new one is only 750.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Only ones are on the resale market.
The O1911 is the Carbona finished with serial ending in WMK Tends to be the priciest. $1600 and up usually. Resale market only.
The O1918 is the same gun with “black army finish”. Serial ending WWI Cost little less than The Carbona finish on average , but still well over $1K. Resale market only.

The ANVIII. Same gun same finish as the black army but rollmarks are commemorative and different than the previous two. Serial ending is 1911. Usually lesser expensive than the previous two. Still over $1K Resale market only.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, a little clarification needed. Colt has produced 2 “Black Army” repros in the last 20years? With the most recent offering representing more of a loose historical “interpretation” ie A1 grip safety, lack of rampant colt on slide and 1991 trigger? Was the 1st 1911 Black Army repro they released in the early 2000’s considered to be the more historically “accurate” of the 2? Also, a quick look on Gunbroker seems to suggest these Colt repros are going for as much, if not more than many shooter-grade originals. Is that an accurate read?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ok, a little clarification needed. Colt has produced 2 “Black Army” repros in the last 20years? With the most recent offering representing more of a loose historical “interpretation” ie A1 grip safety, lack of rampant colt on slide and 1991 trigger? Was the 1st 1911 Black Army repro they released in the early 2000’s considered to be the more historically “accurate” of the 2? Also, a quick look on Gunbroker seems to suggest these Colt repros are going for as much, if not more than many shooter-grade originals. Is that an accurate read?
If that's the case then it's not a viable option. At the end of the day it's still a reproduction. If you spend that much better be the real thing.
RIA looks better more and more.

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
I looked at one at a gun show last week. It appeared to be a nice gun.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
I checked out Inland’s website and that brochure link. Looks like to find one available , there are a few on gunbroker, running about $830 and FFL at the least expensive that I could find. It’s tempting.. done right for a WWII A1 and Inland rollmarks. That’s a tough decision.. for less than half, correct SDS gun but turkey ... or two and a half times the money and Inland rollmarks.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Well, you can count on the collectors and aficionados to pay close attention to the details. The Inland 1911A1 has articles and reviews . It’s about as close as anyone can find. Review from G&A Hanguns, May 2018 had a good write up. The good news for me is I’m educating myself on what’s what. They had a lot of really good things to say about this gun. All steel parts except the grips , which is correct. Great flat finish and rollmarks with the patent dates. Only 2 discrepancies and one is so minor , I guess it counts. The mag well does have some inner bevel which is not correct to original. The other is kinda a biggie possibly, since it seems to matter to folks in buying any 1911 style pistol. It’s a series 80 style firing pin safety. Doesn’t change the appearance, but to quote the article, some may see that as blasphemous.
That is one thing that Colt did do right on all their retros.. Colt added the little red warning tag in the box and kept the original firing pin system. Some gotta keep the lawyers off ‘em.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
+1 WWYS, that series 80 action “plagues” a few of these repro options, including the Inland Manufacturing 1911’s. I hate to admit it, as I’d love to keep it U.S., but the more I read on those SDS’s the more I can’t see passing one up. And that sub $400.00 price point is just nuts. I also hate that Springfield Armory seems to have discontinued the “GI”, as the “Mil-Spec” has a few features that turn me off. Anyone have any experience with the Cimarron 1911’s? Their high-polish offering definitely checks a lot of the boxes for a solid WWI era repro and they can be had for sub $600.00. I think the parkerized version runs about $100.00 less.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't overlook the ATI 1911s, very good shooters and look "right".

·
Registered
907 Posts
I had a Cimarron 1911 in polished nickel but couldn't stand the rollmarks.
They were pressed in so hard the steel was pushed up around the letters. That's an issue with most recent Colts I've seen.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts