Colt Forum banner

Torn box repair

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  oberon 
#1 ·
Some time ago there was a thread regarding the proper adhesive & procedure to repair cardboard boxes. I tried various keywords, but I am going at it from a phone, not a laptop. Can anyone pull up the thread on that?

#3 ·
I also use steel corner braces from the hardware shop and plastic clothespins or those spring steel binder clips to hold the corners together while the glue dries. I have repaired many split cornered boxes with white Elmer's glue applied with a toothpick and cleaned up with a damp cotton swab before it dries.

#4 ·
I use a fine pointed skewer to apply Elmer's very sparingly. Then I go back and give it some more until the rip, tear or lifted piece is to my liking. I also use clothespins, paper clips, rubber bands, and lengths of ordinary string to hold things in place until the adhesive does its job.
Elmer's can be diluted a little if need be, and it dries clear and is invisible.
I have re-toughened-up a few boxes with it, and it works well.

#5 ·
I remember some of the stuff from that post. It talked about using the thicker carboard that backs pads of paper. Tearing it up into small pieces and soaking it overnight. Adding elmers glue to it so you end up with this thick goopy substance of liquid paper (but contains glue). You apply that goop to spots where needed and when it dries have you fixed those areas by filling in with actual paper.

#6 ·
I have repaired a couple of Colt boxes as well as old ammunition factory boxes using Elmer's and where needed have re-enforced broken corners with small pieces of shopping bag paper cut to size and folded at 90 degree angles and glued in place. These can be colored with markers to at least approximate the outside box shade.

#9 ·
Elmers or white glue. Colt's box makers did not put a lot into those old box's. Metal L braces on the corners to hold them together with large paper clips or cloths ping. Small brush works well, glue both sides of splits. Slow and patience. Before and after pictures of one of mine.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thinning the white glue with water is helpful. It soaks into the paper or cardboard faster and is less likely to leave a visible drip or run. I also use a toothpick to apply it precisely. I like the idea of soaking paper to make a paper fiber reinforced glue and will try that next time I do a repair.

#11 ·
i tell ya another elmers glue that Ive had very good luck with. Elmer's Washable School Glue (disappearing Purle). comes in a couple of sizes and is the consistency of chapstick. goes on sort of purple so you can see where youve applied it, but truly is clear when it dries. cant see it on a white sheet of paper once it dries. Its maybe little more forgiving in application and still wipes off easy and little less messy than the liquid bottle Elmers, imo, and holds the same to me once dry. you can stick a toothpick or q-tip right into it and put on the amount you need.

#12 ·
Along with Elmer's regular white glue, I tend to use one of their other products much more for repair. It's called Elmer's craft bond. It looks and works pretty much just like regular Elmers with the exception that it remains flexible when dry. You can even glue cloth with it, so it works for hinged areas of flip top boxes and the like.

My favorite container of it is made like a fat pen with a different sized applicator at each end. One end is fairly fine, so you have better control in application

Most chain craft stores and some office supply store with carry it. We have Michael's and Hobbylobby in our area, but you can find it on Amazon also.

https://www.officesupply.com/craft-...MI3JedsriG2wIVgRGBCh2k0ASWEAQYBCABEgJbz_D_BwE

Cheers

#15 ·
On a side note:

Waste not, want not.

,and,

Use it up, wear it out,
make it do, or do without.

These are 19th century values imparted upon our (mine, anyway) grandparents.
My paternal grandmother on was a widow who raised 2 children single handedly during the depression.
My maternal grandmother was not a widow, but was on her own for long periods pre- and during the war.
She raised 3 children.
I actually own physical articles from their time, and still use some of them.
Frugality is a virtue, and can be the only thing that stands against outright poverty.

I have always appreciated old stuff that has been kept in decent shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.