Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, I finally got my Triple K C Type Police Positive grips in and I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. I honestly didn't know what to expect buying these, but for $70, it was more than what I got.

I completely understand that they are repro, and nothing is ever as good as the original yadda yadda.. but there just isn't the basic quality I expected. I took a couple pictures of the product compared to actual factory posi special grips. Besides the texture and clear clarity differences, note the fading quality of the edges and poor clarity. Considering these grips were made 100 years ago, I can't imagine it's some alien technology that would be impossible to reproduce correctly.

I personally would not order these again, I'd spend my $70 and effort hunting originals, but what do y'all think? Am I being too harsh?

20210502_232757.jpg
20210502_232803.jpg
20210502_232849.jpg
20210502_232828.jpg
20210502_233111.jpg

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Did you start fitting by sanding flat the inside of both grips?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you start fitting by sanding flat the inside of both grips?
I'm not worried about fit as I'm not even interested in fitting the grips at present given the quality. I simply lightly screwed them in place for a visual comparison. My issue is entirely with the quality of the grips themselves, which shows tremendously around the edges. That's the point of that photo

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I don't understand how a company like Triple K has managed to stay in business. They were selling worthless trash magazines 40 years ago when I was in the industry, and are still selling the same trash today. They had a horrible reputation then, which continues to today. Are there that many first time buyers to keep them in business? Who buys from them more than once?

Best regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand how a company like Triple K has managed to stay in business. They were selling worthless trash magazines 40 years ago when I was in the industry, and are still selling the same trash today. They had a horrible reputation then, which continues to today. Are there that many first time buyers to keep them in business? Who buys from them more than once?

Best regards,
I only went with them seeing as they were recommended as a viable option for replacement from this forum. Im not blaming anyone but the company, but as you're saying, why is their name even being tossed around?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I only went with them seeing as they were recommended as a viable option for replacement from this forum. Im not blaming anyone but the company, but as you're saying, why is their name even being tossed around?
Please don't think I was offering any criticism towards you. It's just that I'm amazed that they're still around and people have recommended them. The quality of the grips you received is totally unacceptable, particularly at $70.00, and I hope you're able to return them. I know there's a company that turns out reasonable copies of hard rubber Colt grips. Unfortunately I can't remember the name right now, but I sure someone will come along with the info. If not I'll try to remember and I'll let you know. I have a set on an Uberti Flat Top Bisley and they look pretty good, unless you start to take a close look.

Best regards,

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are not reproduction grips but copies pulled from a mold of used original grips and not good ones. Someone knowledgeable in plastics and checkering could make them look proper but that’s another 6 or more hrs hand labor checkering and polishing. Hopefully the plastic is comparable to the original in composition..

I would patiently search the internet for original grips they show up sometimes and the price might be affordable

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought "vintage" grips for my OP. Asked seller, before i bought them, where he got them? Reply was auction. Bunch of bs. When i got them they where nothing but laser cut repros. Let's be careful out there.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
My experience with Triple K grips was a bout the same. I bought some Colt SAA repros to put on an Uberti, but they left a whole lot to be desired.

Try NC Ordnance, I bought some of their grips for my Italian SA and they are acceptable imo.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Forum member Twaits gave me a pair of repros for my slim butt Colt Police Positive .38 snub nose and they are very nice. I assumed they were NC Ordnance but not sure. Twaits was also great at round butting grips like this. Maybe with very fine emery cloth you can smooth out the “Colt” lettering and other areas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I emailed to see about a refund. The plastic is similar, but definitely not the same. Feels different, but not bad. I think I'll just hunt around for some originals. For maybe $30 I wouldnt complain, but if I can hunt down originals for close to the same price, it just doesn't make much sense to me

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,542 Posts
NC Ordnance are reported to be much better replicas. They're licensed to use the Colt name.

I'm not sure of the history of Vintage Grips/Triple K, but in the 90's Colt contracted with Vintage to make replicas of the Pachmayr Rubber grips for several of their revolver models.
These usually had the Colt logo in a banner on the bottom sides of the grips.
Those rubber grips were good quality but suffered from having a plastic reinforcement molded inside instead of Pachmayr's steel insert.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Best regards,
Maybe so, as you say -- how can they otherwise stay in business?

There was one high quality maker of "hard rubber" grips, a company called Vintage Grips in Florida. I found those grips to be about perfect, but then I think they sold to NC Ordnance. The NC Ordnance grips are awful, much like the Colt PP Grips that began this thread.

I once asked NC Ordnance by email if they made any wood grips for the S&W American. The entire reply was "no". I see a bad attitude there, in that reply!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think Triple K has in stock one set of grips and one magazine for every gun ever made. When an order comes in they ship it out - then it's returned as crap and shipped out to the next poor soul. Repeat as needed …. ;)

I'm probably being too harsh. Their magazines for an H&R 32 ACP, Husqvarna 1907 & HS 380 work fine. But so many others wouldn't even fit, never mind feed. a free file should be included with every purchase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today I got a response that I'll be refunded once I send them back. Assuming all goes well, at least I'll get my money back

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Those look like a cap gun grips. Many years ago I bought some Bisley grips from one of the repro makers. They look pretty good, but I can't remember the name of the company. So what I would do is keep looking for repros ON EBAY. That way, you can look at pictures of the actual ones you're buying, and if you see some that look better, have a better purchase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts