Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These two toy horses were passed down to me a some years ago. I was told they belonged to my dad when he was a child. I feel pretty sure they played cowboys and indians more than once. As you can see, one horse must have been the indian horse in a particularly rough battle... or Custer's horse, as he is missing two legs. They are made out of metal including the little chain bridle and are hollow. I see no identification marks on them, but I don't know what to look for. The other is totally intact. Has any of you cowboys out there had a similiar toy or seen similiar items? I call them toys but they may not be considered toys as they are metal and may be pure decorative in original purpose.

Registered
I will soon be 63 years old and I recall them being sold in "dime stores" when I was a child. I think you are correct and they were primarily for decoration as some larger ones had clocks mounted in the body of the horse roughly where the saddle is located.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a whole box full of horses, some like yours in different sizes. Mostly from late 50s, when I was a kid.
My dad was an early 50's kid.. born in late 40's, so that makes sense. He's passed away now, so I probably own the only priceless ones.. sounds like they don't have much monetary value. My boys will have fun with them once they are old enough to know not to throw them.. a flying metal horsey would hurt !

Registered
I believe those were made in the USA. All the small ones I have collected over the years that were made in USA have solid under bellies.

Those made in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan have open underbellies.
I also believe they were designed as key chains so women could find their keyes easier in that carry on filing cabinet they carry.

Premium Member
I have one very similar to yours, except the one that I have is mabey a little bigger-6 inches tall. I have no idea where it was made though.

Registered
I remember my Brother & I playing with horses very similar to that, but I can't remember anything else about them.
Frank

Registered
When we were kids in the mid 50s the carnivals would come to town and they used to have a game where you raced a pony across a course... the prizes for winning were horses like that. I had several of them and you could trade them in to get bigger ones as you played ... mine were from about 4 inches high to ones that stood 8-10 inches high... Bob

Registered
I too was born in 1948 and remember them as a kid in the late 50's. But my old memory is slipping some and I don't remember where they came from.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.