Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching an episode of "Trackdown" this morning. It aired for two seasons beginning in 1957 and starred Robert Culp as Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman. This is one of the very few TV shows I've seen where the star carries a Smith & Wesson. It was pretty clear that the S&W (with it's round butt) is a New Model Number 3. It's interesting that the IMFDB says Gilman's gun is a Schofield. As we know the vast majority of characters on TV westerns used Colt SAAs. In the early episodes of Bonanza you can see Remingtons and Colt conversions but no S&W revolvers. Does anyone know of other TV westerns in which a main character carries a Smith?

PS. Trackdown also introduced Steve McQueen as the bounty hunter Josh Randall.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was watching an episode of "Trackdown" this morning. It aired for two seasons beginning in 1957 and starred Robert Culp as Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman. This is one of the very few TV shows I've seen where the star carries a Smith & Wesson. It was pretty clear that the S&W (with it's round butt) is a New Model Number 3. It's interesting that the IMFDB says Gilman's gun is a Schofield. As we know the vast majority of characters on TV westerns used Colt SAAs. In the early episodes of Bonanza you can see Remingtons and Colt conversions but no S&W revolvers. Does anyone know of other TV westerns in which a main character carries a Smith?

PS. Trackdown also introduced Steve McQueen as the bounty hunter Josh Randall.

View attachment 702249
I thought that I was seeing Culp using a square butted Schofield when that series aired. I wonder if he changed guns after a while?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I had a great uncle that ran a small butcher shop next to our village general store. I was in there one day about 1949. He was cashing a check for probably a kronnie of his. I was about eight years old and I figure he was putting on a act for me. He pulled out a nickle schofield, licked his finger and counted out some money giving the guy the fish eye.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Now, if we're talking movies - there was Richard Farnsworth in 'The Grey Fox' and the 'Schofield Kid' (and Clint Eastwood later on, in 'Unforgiven'.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
As I recall there were early episodes of Clint Walker, on Cheyenne, carring a Smith top break. It was even noted in a magazine article, "True, The Man's Magazine", I believe.
And in "The Naked Spur" I believe Jimmy Stewart carries a Colt New Service.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
I believed Culp also used a schofield in Hanny Caulder, while Raquel Welch used a double action revolver. and Kurt Russell carried a schofield in the riding scene in Tombstone
As mentioned that was Robert Culp’s S&W. And I thought he was the coolest guy ever the way he carried it later in Hannie Caulder. I think he had the hammer extended for easier cocking. His strong side gun in that movie was an Adams. There was a show called “Dead Man‘s Gun” where a cursed engraved Schofield was passed along to the next person each episode. ”Cheyenne” was mentioned. In that episode he shot a S&W gun dealer’s .44 American or first model Russian In a scene. “‘Schofield” has turned into a generic term often applied to other top break Smiths.
EDIT: Peter Duell carried a 5” Schofield (a real one) in Alias Smith and Jones. James Caan used a nickel break top .44 Double Action in a TV movie with “Red Rock” in the title. Randy Quaid carried the same type in “Streets Of Laredo”. I’m just thinking of TV shows and movies. Theatrical films has tons of S&W use.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Well, of course I have to post this one again. A rare early 1890s New Model 3 Target model converted from .44 Russian to .22. It shoots great. I was thrilled to find it and not until I got it home I realized it was a Target version. Collectors might cringe, but it was converted to .22 in the 1920s by the grandad of the guy I bought it from. He needed a good .22, I guess and made one himself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just watched "the shootist" last night, and, I believe, the Hugh O'Brien character used a top break for his first shot from the faro table, when he shot the gambling man.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Most of my western movie recommendations come from "True West" magazine. I took a chance and bought the DVD movie "Appaloosa", staring actor-director Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, and Renée Zellweger. Appaloosa is a small town in SW NM or SE AZ in the mid-1870's. Harris and Mortensen arrive as seasoned lawmen to take the City Marshal job (and deputy) in a town virtually controlled by some embedded lawless element. I can highly recommend this one, in which a variety of period guns are used without any major "gun goofs".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts