Colt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Stacy Keach as Frank James in The Long Riders carries a nickeled S&W. Looks like a Schofield but could be an American.
View attachment 702763
When The Longriders
Stacy Keach as Frank James in The Long Riders carries a nickeled S&W. Looks like a Schofield but could be an American.
View attachment 702763
When the movie "The Longriders" came out in 1980, I thought that was the best western ever made. I was most impressed with the variety of firearms used. At the time I thought that was a nickeled Schofield that Stacy Keach was holding. Other pistols noticed were the Rem M1875 and the Merwin & Hulbert 44. The youngest James boy was given an old Walker Colt, and he was killed by Pinkertons early in the movie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Though the Last Samurai isn't a western it is set in the "western" historic era. At one point Tom Cruise's character carries a S&W Scholfield Model 3 top break and his regular carry is a 1872 Open Top Colt in an interesting shoulder rig.
The progression of armaments used in the movie from muzzle loading to breech loading rifles by the Japanese imperial army is interesting to watch and historically correct.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Repro Schofields have appeared in many movies in the last 20 years. A guy playing John King Fisher in the horrible ‘Texas Rangers” used a five incher. If I recall correctly Kurt Russell carried 7” nickel and a blued 3” in a weird recent horror western That might have been called Tomahawk Bone. Tom Selleck in “Crossfire Trail”. #:10 To Yuma was probably already mentioned.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Repro Schofields have appeared in many movies in the last 20 years. A guy playing John King Fisher in the horrible ‘Texas Rangers” used a five incher. If I recall correctly Kurt Russell carried 7” nickel and a blued 3” in a weird recent horror western That might have been called Tomahawk Bone. Tom Selleck in “Crossfire Trail”. #:10 To Yuma was probably already mentioned.
The doctor in Bone Tomahawk used a scoop fluted Merwin & Hulbert open top with ivory grips. That gun was M&H engraved and had a barrel cut to about 5". A picture of a normal 7" M&H is attached, along with a scene from the movie. Near the end of the movie, that shooter squats in the brush and we get to see him twist open the M&H and reload thru the gate. That was about the only thing I like about Bone Tomahawk!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Here is a scene from Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell holding a repro nickeled Schofield. I have enhanced the picture enough to where you can see the repro markings on the left side of barrel. On an original Schofield all marking would be on the flat below the barrel, as shown on this 5" Wells Fargo S&W.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, this morning I was again watching "Trackdown". Ranger Hoby Gilman ran out of the saloon to confront some bank robbers. He pulled his gun and started rapidly blazing away. After rewinding and giving the scene a closer look, I was disappointed to see that his single action S&W had morphed into a Colt New Service! The Ranger marched the crooks to jail where his magic revolver had returned to it's previous persona, a S&W New Model Number 3.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Robert Culp was a pretty good gun spinner. Notice his Colt has what looks like a 6 1/2" barrel. I bet he had this barrel length because his S&W was and he must have liked it. He played "Wild Bill Hickok" in a pretty lame western and packed two nickel Colt SAAs both again with 6 1/2" barrels. I wonder if these three Colts letter to that length. Spoiler alert! He might spin a gun OK here, but it didn't help him when he ran into The Rifleman.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts