Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,I have just recieved a historical letter from Colt on a 1901 38 US Army Revolver. Was sold to the US Gov Commanding Officer Battery 22 at Ft Douglas UT in the early 1900's (interestong history furnished by Ft Douglas Museum)
This Pistol has the inspector marks RAC and of Capt Leroy E. Briggs assigned to Remington for inspection of this weapons, and refurbish by Remington for home guard units during WW I....is there a way I can track the Serial Number 169396 for further historical reasons (Remington has no record) or is there any historical writings about Capt Briggs.. Would really like to trac this weapon through history any help would be appreciated...
thank You

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
See this thread -
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/21022-us-army-model-1901-a.html
Bob Best states that Captain LeRoy E. Briggs was responsible for (final inspector) the 1918 refurbishment of the Colt guns at the Remington plant.

Also see -
Colt Revolver, Model 1903 US Army for sale (989466504)
Evidently this was one of 19,589 Colt Model 1892, 94, 96, 01, & 03 revolvers refurbished by Remington at the Bridgeport, CT plant for Army use in WWI between May-Aug 1918.

You know when the gun was made - 1901.
You know where the gun was between May-Aug 1918 - at the Remington plant, Bridgeport, CT.
I know of no way to track it any further.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Of all the Colts I have, I think my 1901 would be the one I may have lettered. Because from the shipped to fort, you may be able to track the resident units, then any deployments they made, etc. You may have a dead end for the WWI period. Still, it's a lot more interesting to me than a letter that shows a Police Positive was shipped to "Freds Hardware, Omaha" or whatever. Nice history you are finding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photograph Forehead Portrait Vintage clothing Picture frame
Chin Forehead Portrait History
Thought I would share what I have found so far relating. This is a US Army 1901 with all the required marks. Colt advises that it was sold to the US Government Commanding Officer 22 nd Artillery Battalion Fort Douglas Ut..on November 8, 1901 and was part of a shipment of 159 Guns...with little research that time period of Ft Douglas was the forming of the Official Artillery Units of the US Army, Coastal and Field(have copy of orders from dept of Army). Curator of the Now Museum states first unit Battery one 22 arty battalion consisted of 160 men….Colt shipped 159 revolvers.(also was home to the Buffalo Solders pending re assignment to the Philippines)..this was the first Arty training Unit and was commanded by a West Point Grad by the Name of Adelbert Conkheite...Making a shorter story and with promotions and time forward...Adelbert Conkheite was promoted thru the ranks to Maj General where he was Commanding General 80th Division, American Expeditionary Forces; commanded the battle of the Argonne-Meuse and received the Distinguish Service Medal....other historical factors Gun was shipped to Remington in 1918 and re-inspected by Captain Biggs and used by security at defense contract sights .
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...t=pcb.423196934512157&type=1&relevant_count=2

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I've got a Model 1901 that shipped three weeks before yours, on October 15, 1901, in a batch of 300 to Benicia Arsenal in the Bay Area, which at the time was the supply hub for US Army operations in the Pacific. So there is a decent chance it ended up in the Philippines for a while. I inquired about the old records when I visited the Benicia Arsenal museum last summer; unfortunately, the records from Benicia all were shipped back East when the arsenal closed and are buried in some military archive.

Mine also has the LEB stamp. I've never been able to find a definite answer to the question whether guns had to be in particularly good or particularly bad shape to earn a ticket to Remington. At any rate; there seems to be no concrete evidence as to what happened to the nearly 20.000 revolvers that were part of that contract. It seems certain that none of them made it back into active service at any front. In reading widely on the web, there appears to be somewhat of a consensus that the largest batch of these were transferred to the Naval Reserve and put into storage, and some of those (but obviously not ours) may have been re-bored for .38/200 and shipped to Britain under Lend-Lease. But a lot of that seems to be conjecture; I have seen no real evidence, just stories. You mention "security at defense contract sites"; do you have any documentation for that? That would be a first.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Sir....have read where majority of these were sent to the Navy during the 1918's but the navy removed the "Army" from the butt most by filing them off...and like you it was advised the remainder went to various military defense contractors security personnel....or I see where several went to State National Guard Units..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.