Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obtained some Trail Boss for $10 per container. Setting Unique aside.
Be sides the data in manuals: Looking for suggestions for Trail Boss in SAA, 44SPL w/ 248 bullet & 45 w/250 grain bullet.
Found that light loads such as 4.6 grains of TB with 250 grain bullet in the 45 SAA results in cases that are difficult to clean.
I have some 45s, 250 grain, loaded with 5.0 grains to use next.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Obtained some Trail Boss for $10 per container. Setting Unique aside.
Be sides the data in manuals: Looking for suggestions for Trail Boss in SAA, 44SPL w/ 248 bullet & 45 w/250 grain bullet.
Found that light loads such as 4.6 grains of TB with 250 grain bullet in the 45 SAA results in cases that are difficult to clean.
I have some 45s, 250 grain, loaded with 5.0 grains to use next.
If my memory serves me correct, I have been using 5.2 gr. of Trail Boss with a 250 gr. lead bullet. These are fun loads that don't shake your teeth. I started that loading when I was into CAS. Most of the folks were using just enough powder to get the bullet to the target. I did not want full power loads and the 5.2 gr. were excellent in my Colts! Keep us posted on you 5 Gr load with the .45 Colt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If my memory serves me correct, I have been using 5.2 gr. of Trail Boss with a 250 gr. lead bullet. These are fun loads that don't shake your teeth. I started that loading when I was into CAS. Most of the folks were using just enough powder to get the bullet to the target. I did not want full power loads and the 5.2 gr. were excellent in my Colts! Keep us posted on you 5 Gr load with the .45 Colt.
CORRECTION
My 45 Colt loads are 5.4 gr. of Trail Boss (not 5.0 gr.) w/250 grain bullet. Yet to be fired.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Check Mike Venturino (sp?) articles in Handloader Magazine for a "go-to" trail boss load. He gave a load for 44-40 & 45 Colt that used the same charge of Trail boss, with cast bullets appropriate to caliber..
My memory isn't perfect, so you might look up the published load in handloader magazine.

rayb

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I just came back from NH and shot my SAA in 45LC, 5.4 gr of trail boss, under a 255 gr Keith style bullet. It shoots to point of aim at 25 yards.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I just came back from NH and shot my SAA in 45LC, 5.4 gr of trail boss, under a 255 gr Keith style bullet. It shoots to point of aim at 25 yards.
Glad to hear your load of 5.4 grs of Trail Boss shot well. I did check my loads and I and my memory was correct about the Trail Boss and bullet. Mine shoot great in my CAS revolver; a Ruger New Vaquero. I have not tried them as all my SAA revolvers are 1st Gens and I don't want to stess the early 1900s Colts. What revolver are you shooting yours in?

The Trail Boss is a great shooting powder. I just checked and I have about 10 lbs in my inventory, LOL!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've been using mild Trail Boss loads exclusively in all of my 44s and 45Colts. I love the stuff. Couldn't ask for a better powder for less than full power loads.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I use 6.0 grains of TB in .44-40 with 200 to 215 grain bullets and the Same in .45 Colt with 250-255 grain bullets.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does Trail Boss meter accurately or do you folks ave to use dippers?
Trail Boss is the only powder that I have had problems with on my Hornady Lock N Load. about 1 out of 20 charges will be light. The powder is really large flakes with a hole in the middle. Thankfully the charges are easy to verify because they fill the case so well.

I couple of months ago I thought I had a squib while firing my S&W 325 PD because the report was real light. Once I got home I went to pound the stuck bullet back so I could open the cylinder but there was no bullet... I must have missed a real light charge of TB and it was enough to get the bullet out the barrel but the cylinder locked up do to the primer being pushed out of the case and dragging on the recoil shield.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I use 5.8 grs. of Trail Boss with a 250 gr. Missouri Bullet Co. RNFP in my 45 Colts. That is a maximum load shown in the Hodgdon’s manual but I see no signs of excessive pressure or cases being hard to extract. It gives me a 20 yd. POA. I might also add that I am not a competitive shooter that shoots a ton of rounds a day. My load for my 44 specials is 4.6 grs. of Trail Boss with a 240 gr. Missouri Bullet Co’s HiTek SWC, and that gives me a 20 yard POA. I just have to experiment with different bullet weights and powder charges to finally find one that hits where I want it to and it’s a pain when one Colt likes it another one doesn’t. Joseph

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have 2 Redding powder measures, one with a small diameter insert and one with a large insert. I just opened a new container of Unique and using the small insert, I can’t drop 7.5 grains of powder. It will Drop 7.4 or 7.6 all day long. Maybe it’s possessed! I haven’t tried the rifle insert yet but I have been wondering if the rectangular shape of the Lyman cavity, and the little tapper weight would be better for fluffy powders. My wife might get a Lyman measure for a Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
@Abwehr , The 45 SAA is a third generation , my normal loads before Trail Boss was made available was 8. , 9., 10., grains of Unique over the same Keith style bullet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Condensed report: I have been alternating between my 44 SPL & 45 Colt shooting Unique & approx. equivalent loads in Trail Boss. The only issue that I have is that the Trail Boss cases require over twice the time as Unique cases in my vibrator for cleaning. Recoil & accuracy is fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts