Colt Forum banner

Transforming my 1963 National Match 45acp

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Sergio Natali 
#1 ·
Every spring my 63 NM Colt (all oginal factory parts, grips are in storage) gets transformed from its original factory configuration to my summer PPC Match Pistol. I shoot her in the Open Semi Auto Class.
I have made no perminant changes and her finish is factory 90-92%.
So my question is; Is it blasphemy to do this?
I really don't know what collector's value she has. I do not have the box or factory papers and don't believe the magazine I got with her is original. I acquired her in trade for a Sig Legend several years ago and believe I traded up to begin with.
I only shoot lower powered 185 and 200gr swc loads, never factory hard ball.
I am considering having the frame modified for a custom fit beaver tail then hard chromed.
Should I retire her and get something of more modern decent before potentially ruining this piece of Colt History, especially since Colt is now under CZ control?
Now go ahead and beat me up, I can take it..

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you sure that is a 63? I thought they came with an Accro rear sight in 63 and switched to an Ellison in about 65. I have a shooty collection and my oldest GCNM is a 66 and I do shoot it a little every now and then, but not a lot. It is on the top with my 79 I bought new in 79 in the middle and my 88 I found a few years ago in a LGS on the bottom.

But if you enjoy shooting it then go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.