Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy brought his 3rd gen out today that he had Mundon work the trigger and action on...man that was smooth. If I can get one bought reasonable, who do you guys recommend do the work? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Send it off to LA Bill. Not only is he a wealth of knowledge for us DIY tinkerers here on the forum but I’ve read nothing but rave reviews regarding every aspect of his gunsmithing.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
An awful lot of Munden's 'work' has to be re-done in order to make the weapon safe - he loved music wire springs and modifying pretty much 'everything'.

It's better to use Colt parts and do an 'actual' trigger job and honing - Jim Martin will do it 'right',as will Lever Action Bill.
After Munden died I took a cut in pay because now I don't have his work to repair anymore,out of the 63 yrs I've been doing SA work I've been fixing his guns for @ least 40 yrs. I saved some of the parts out of the guns he worked on & when I contributed to the Kuhnhaussen manual I sent them to Jerry to see,he said it was hard to believe that the parts had been modified the way they were,especially the top of the bolt.I still have one of his bolts in my inventory.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
After Munden died I took a cut in pay because now I don't have his work to repair anymore,out of the 63 yrs I've been doing SA work I've been fixing his guns for @ least 40 yrs. I saved some of the parts out of the guns he worked on & when I contributed to the Kuhnhaussen manual I sent them to Jerry to see,he said it was hard to believe that the parts had been modified the way they were,especially the top of the bolt.I still have one of his bolts in my inventory.
I was told the bolts are grooved so that way if the bolt doesn't catch the notch on the first edge, it will catch the second.

JP

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would highly recommend Jim Martin!! He is an old school Sixgunologist, that uses craftsmanship to make a Colt purr rather than the "smoke and mirror" action job with paperclips for bolt springs and rubber band mainsprings.

As for Bob Munden…………..let's just say I'm still pissed about what he did to two of my early 2nd Gens...……. and it's been 12 years!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
jplower said:
I was told the bolts are grooved so that way if the bolt doesn't catch the notch on the first edge, it will catch the second.
As one of many caught up in that hype and having shot with Munden some, I'd sent a brand new Colt over to Bob. I got the Colt back with a home made wire bolt spring, radically thinned and tapered main, the cut bolt down the middle and a hammer with the firing pin cut down by 2 thirds and hammer cam cut nearly in half. Gun had been the most accurate SAA I had ever shot and wanted it improved by an action job and nice ivory (Eagle Grips did the ivory) . What I got back was junk. When I called expressing my dismay at the work to Bob, he told me the bolt cut was to lightened so it would pop up and engage better with the light weight bolt spring. I replaced the parts Bob took a Dremel tool to. It was a costly error on my part not knowing the difference between good work and something else. End result was I finally just sold the gun. Pretty disappointing experience.

Believe I still have those parts. I'll look around and post photos if I do.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ol' Bob certainly had abilities and that's his legacy. What survives us after we're gone is the physical things we touched. Early in my beginnings a fellow sent me a nice, black powder SA, 1888 production, that needed a new cylinder. It had been sent to our subject for timing and came back with the bolt notches and approaches enlarged
100 percent! The gun had 90 percent original nickel with eagle grips and the owner was livid. Calls were not returned to him, so we found a crisp, no finish cylinder and matched it up as best we could. I never understood how a gunsmith could so radically alter an original finish Colt and not be accountable for the error. Either poor communication or secondary instruction, but he didn't make good on the error. No customer service, and yet I'm sure there are high praises from some quarters to this day. It's a lesson for anyone considering or doing Colt repairs. A good job, as evidenced in here, will garner ten complimentary comments, but a bad job will generated triple that in time.

JP

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bob James did the trigger work on my 2d gen 1957 SAA. My wife liked it so much I got her one from her birth year- 1961 - for our 25th anniversary four years ago and sent it to him to work on. Sent 100 rds of my favorite load for him to sight in the guns- 50 each, IIRC. I can hit 4” plates - most, anyway - from the hip no problem. Reasonable rates, fast turnaround, Colt parts. While I’m not a competitor or trick shooter, the actions feel identical to me, wow friends who’ve shot them and The Arizona Thumber’s got my vote.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. When it comes to SAA revolvers the same well recommended 'smiths names come up, Jim martin, Lever action Bill, etc. Mike at Goons Gunworks seems to be the go to cap and ball guy

Who does the open tops and cartridge conversions replicas, like the Uberti 1872? As 'modern' a cartridge guns doesn't a 'smith need an FFL to accept work from our of state?

1873opentop-2.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts