Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, will someone either explain what a beveled trigger guard is or provide comparison photos. I have seven single action Colts dating from 1892 through an early 3rd gen, and they all look the same to me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
1st Gen, with a beveled trigger guard where it mates to the frame.

Later gun..3rd Gen I suspect where it is not beveled....

another good bevel..

and one that is not...just not as bad as the previous engraved gun.

and another that is not beveled...but despite the markings it is a USFA gun. Hoping it is easy to see the non beveled trigger guard though :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Hondo44 said:
See the thin flattened angle or beveled edge of the grip strap just below the frame in this photo? That's the bevel. Non-beveled trigger guard straps are rounded at that location.
Guys, I get the actual machine bevel of the trigger guard. But I was thinking it is the thickness of the trigger guard and how well it was blended to the frame past just the machine bevel you have shown. Am I mistaken? Many of the earlier guns were beveled by machine right up to the frame or just shy of it and the trigger guards were a lot thinner in cross section as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Thanks for the picture with the red arrows. I was not seeing it. Never got it when people talk about it, nor the "way the ears align with the hammer" or some such. Once you know what you're looking for it's easy. Until then, it's just incomprehensible words.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Thanks for the picture with the red arrows. I was not seeing it. Never got it when people talk about it, nor the "way the ears align with the hammer" or some such. Once you know what you're looking for it's easy. Until then, it's just incomprehensible words.
Have you figured out the hammer and ears issue?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, I'll get out the single actions and look for bevels but, good grief, what the heck are you talking about with regard to the hammer and ears? This is more complicated than physics!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Bad grip strap ears not mated to the hammer...they are cut too short and do not match the lower hammer's contour.

Hammer, frame and back strap ears mated perfectly...

this is a gun I am cutting the back strap ears (too big) to mate up with the hammer and frame

1 - 13 of 13 Posts