Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of inner manipulation is required for a trigger job. Keep in mind I have no idea of the inner workings of a revolver. Just give me a 1 out of 5 rating, with 5 being the most difficult.

When inspecting revolvers for purchase, is it a good idea to avoid such revolvers. I know the intent of the purchase matters, ie buying as a pristine collector vs a junky shooter.
Was just wondering if "opened" guns should be avoided, or is it a common occurance with little effect in value?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Opening and cleaning on a Smith & Wesson firearm is quite simple and quite common.
On the other hand, IMHO a Colt can be opened and a blow out cleaning with Gunscrubber or the like can be done without much trouble and then put the sidepalte back on and LEAVE IT ALONE! Now Colts are a little more complicated than S&Ws when it comes to action jobs and should be done only by a qualified factory or otherwise factory qualified gunsmith. If you want to take a chance on a "kitchen table" action job, it is you gun, I for one would not attempt it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
most older colts have very nice triggers from the factory, the only acceptable modification is smoothing the inner action parts to remove any drag.this is not hard but requires paitence,attn to detail, proper tools and kuhnhausen`s excellent book "colt revolvers a shop manual" this excellent reference also gives a pre check which should be done on any used revolver you are considering buying. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Trigger jobs generally involve deburring / polishing moving mating sufaces in the mechanism and/or reducing spring tension. This can include the sides of trigger and hammer mechanisms and the frame areas with which they mate which should not be a big problem , but also the hand, bolt, rebound lever, sear and notch which could be problematic since in Colts like E/I and D frames, careful fitting is required for proper function. It seems to me that dressing those areas for smoother operation would require considerable knowledge and experience to avoid adversely affecting function and would rate fairly difficult on the scale. Spring tension adjustment involves trial bending and obviously has the potential for light strikes. So, I guess I would want to know who did it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you know a gun has been opened because the screws are buggered, you might wonder if the heavy hand did anything internally, although cleaning like db68 said and even careful disassembly and correct reassembly is not particularly difficult or disruptive. A timing check should reasonably verify function but it could certainly be a bargaining point. All JMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
ditto, I have ONE particular guy do all my smith work on my autos........I would not consider him on my revolvers. At this point I would prob send to Colt or ask around to folks I respect their opp. on who to give it to.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear from time to time, "I had the trigger lightened", or it has a "Trigger job", and I can't help but shy away from a piece like that IMO. Glad to know my thinking has some merit! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just hearing "trigger jobs" or "action jobs" are not reasons to shy away, but pay closer attention to the details when you make your inspection. If done right then it's a plus for shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having done a few trigger jobs myself with excellent results, I can say that the single point to concentrate on to maintain a safe gun is maintaining the factory relationship between all parts. Just smoothing the mating surfaces can make a remarkable difference in feel and pull, and that's all I do. I don't have an optical comparator to verify angles, but a 10x loupe has worked well for me. Starting with a 600 grit stone, I work down to 8000 for a mirror-like polish. That may be overkill, since just removing the ridge-like file marks between the hammer or sear and trigger will provide huge benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts