Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just purchased a beautiful colt Lawman. This is one of the first Colt revolvers I`ve bought, (Smith & Wesson was my choice). This gun has a nice feel to it. The action is as smooth as silk. One problem, the trigger pull is is heeeeavy! As I wrote it`s smooth . I took it to my local gunsmith , he got the trigger a little better,but still really heavy . Do I now go to Wolff , & get a spring kit? I see that Wolff offers a spring kit . No problem for me on a Smith , a more complicated task on the Colt? Any suggestions?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You need to be careful about taking a Colt Mk III to a gunsmith who might be used to filing and stoning. The trigger and hammer are sintered and case hardened. This means that only a very thin surface layer is hard and any significant work can take it off and leave the softer metal exposed. This results in accelerated wear and likely eventual replacement. Wolff springs should really be the only approach (except for Grant Cunningham :rolleyes:). The 13 lb mainspring along with the reduced trigger spring seems to be the most successful and popular, giving a reasonable pull without sacrificing ignition reliability in most cases. Also highly recommended is the book The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Vol. II by Jerry Kuhnhausen, available from Midway, Brownells and various book sellers. :cool:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-smithing/36237-replacing-main-spring-colt-trooper-mark-iii.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts