Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0765.JPG I wasn't looking for a 1903 (.32) in earnest, but ran into a .380, and took a chance. ..same gun, different caliber. Ok fine sez me, from "proof house, it was made in 1925, I believe s.n. 72xxx. Right now, and in the near future it is soaking in gentle ATF for gunk removal, etc. I got the firing group out(not an easy chore) after some research. The fp chamber is carboned up, and not easy to get to with a brush...I am learning. When I feel it is safe, I'll shoot it...any recommendations on ball ammo?

This gun makes me feel like Bogart(although his were all .32's in the movies)!

comment if you see fit...

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Great snag on a great gun. I have one of each a .32 and a .380
I've only fired my .380 once. I just used Winchester white box full metal jacket ammo. It fired just fine. These guns are known for outstanding reliability.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I love all the Model M's. Usually shooting the 32, however my 380's digest all the different ammo I put through it. I also reload some of the 380's and just use what I have on hand with powder, following the reloading manual. I haven't really worked up loads since I don't record accuracy with my Model M's - just go out and blast away - reliably I might add.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have only shot Federal FMJ .380 from my 1937 production gun. Some shooters have told me even hollow points work in them. I cannot verify that but I'll try it some time.

Small point of info: Only the .32acp gun is the Mod 1903. The .380 gun is the Mod 1908.

Welcome to the Colt Forum. The Hudson is one of my favorite rivers.

It's hard to believe you've been a member for 3 1/2 years and this is your first post :confused:
Don't be shy :D

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Twaits who is "ME" and "CTM" ?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Well I want to know anyway.

Tnx

[

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
ei8ht,

I have no idea. I bought that gun at Kittery Trading Post quite a number of years ago. The serial number dates it to 1917. The engraving was definitely not done at Colt's.
The gun appears to be in the white and not plated. You can see where it was once blued in some of the protected areas and on the magazine.
I think if it was plated these areas of blue would not be there. Its a little strange. It doesn't have any rust issues so if it is in the white it was always well oiled.

Edit: Boy when you're up to almost 7000 posts it takes a long time to find one of the old ones. Not to hijack the OPs thread but I thought ei8ht might like to see more pics of that monogramed 1903:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/35880-finish-my-1903-white.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind thoughts, etc.

the 1908 is just a little oily right now for any photo opportunities...any tricks to firing pin chamber cleaning, other than a soaking?

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
These are still my favorite .32 and .380 Autos of all.

There are of course may other ones, other fine ones reliable ones, but none quite so overall elegant and 'just right', as the Colt Model 'M' ones.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a model III in .32, any worries about using it and losing collector value if it breaks. I had to replace firing pin and spring. Works great but would hate to break it. I know, dumb question. They were made to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts