Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when I know I can't BUY what I want to shoot, I make do READING about what I'd like to shoot. Some months ago, I came across references to a Colt, "Marshall." I mentioned it on these pages and enjoyed some information. More recently, a, "round butt Official Police appeared in an ad from R. Vivas in N.Y. Today, I heard about a, "Marshall," on Joesalter's website and looked at it. This site says the Marshall was only made from '54 to '56 and only 2500 made. One sure LOOKS like the other. How many kissin'cousin Colts do we have that I still don't know about? (I'm musing over these guns as a carry-piece. If it worked for Robert Stack and Kevin Costner ... Ha!)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mr. rcwambold.......
You raise an issue that I find most fascinating. That is the unique marketing differences between Colt and say, S&W. Colt appears to me to have changed model 'names' with minor configuration changes. I.E. you can change the barrel or grips on say a 'D' frame and make it a DS, Cobra, Agent or PPS.
Same with the I/E frame to OP, Marshall or Commando. In fact you can even put a later shrouded barrel on 'D' frames and make them "3rd" generations. It could also apply to the OMM and the Trooper, etc. given cyl. length(if the same). The Python and Diamondback appear to have exclusive frames. Smith on the other hand did not change model names such as M&P,Masterpiece,.357, 44 Mag when different barrel lenghts or grip styles were employed. I am not inferring that one method is preferred over another but to point out the differences that make collecting or enjoying both challenging and interesting. Therefore, I would wonder if Colt made a rounded grip Commando (or Parkerized version), what it was called and how rare it might be.
Cheers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Mr. Cobra! I think your marketing thoughts are more interesting than my round/square but ones! Don't know any particulars to site but, personally, I've always found everything about Colt to be more appealing. Isn't that silly - for a grown man? I mean, from Day #1 ... the first gun I bought was a Cobra - honest! I even liked the box better than the Smith. The finish, the grips, the sights ... and I've known more guys over the years that've asked me, "Why the Colt? Don't you think it just looks and feels cheap compared to the S&W?" They were serious and so was I. We're looking at the same thing and seeing nothing the same! It does strike me that there's a lot more of THEM than there are of US. If I needed a master's thesis in business, I'd use this angle. Even ads from the 1800's - the Colt takes me right with it; the Smith stuff alienates me. All but the model 19! Ha!

·
Registered
70 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
Smith on the other hand did not change model names such as M&P,Masterpiece,.357, 44 Mag when different barrel lenghts or grip styles were employed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should be "usually did not change." M14 & M15 are K38 Target Masterpiece and K38 Combat Masterpiece; similarly Model 17 & Model 18; Model 25 & Model 26 (heavy barrel & light barrel).

As they say on the S&W forum, "Never say 'never' with S&W's."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts