Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Trooper .22 at my favorite gun shop and had to have it because I had just purchased a Trooper .38 Special a few weeks ago and they match really well.
The .22 ser# is 75xxx and I thought 1968 but I read that these .22 trooper were not made after 1962 and they were numbered with the Officers Model instead and not that many were made. That would put it in 1958 (I hope). Is either one of these statements correct or am I way off ?
Does anyone recognize these grips? Are they J. Scott. The gun has the flat screw under them so I assume it came with targets.
I know, I need some original trooper grips. Another mission. I think I favor the service over the targets on these guns. What say you?

The .38 ser# is 914xxx. I'm fairly confident that is 1958. As you can see it is in better shape than the .22 but they are still make a nice pair don't they.

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
Very nice shootable pair. Trooper/Official police post war service stocks show up all the time on ebay. If you take the pair of aftermarket stocks off, you might be able to read inside of who made them.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The Trooper .22 is numbered with the Officers Model. Colt sometimes doesn't even understand this which makes lettering the gun difficult at times (several threads go into this).Target stocks with a service hammer would have been a slightly unusual combination.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A good find. Congratulations.

My Trooper .22 is #746xx and according to our expert JudgeColt was made in 1957, so 1958 sounds right for your gun. Mine came with service stocks to which I added a Tyler T-grip. I've shot it enough times to know that the quality of these early Troopers will never be matched again.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
SOMEWHERE, and I cannot for the life of me remember where, I read that only about 2200 .22LR Troopers were made.
The vast majority were with Service grips and hammer, but I have seen a couple with verified factory Target hammer and grips.

I always wondered if any were made in bright nickel.

I'm not sure who made the grips on the above gun, but I seem to recall seeing them fairly often on Ebay over the last couple of years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.