Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been upgrading the grips on many of my revolvers. I bought some allegedly "Trooper" grips on ebay for this pistol. www.pathfinderedu.com/4web2c/Colt357.jpg
However, they do not fit. It looks like Python grips should fit. I'd prefer wood grips that leave the front and back straps open (like S&W magna service grips). Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
bruceh,

My Python grips, made in `65, do not fit my Trooper, made in `70. Apparently, they are different frames. Check with "dfariswheel" re: frame sizes,

John

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The seller shouldve said "MK. III Trooper",or "J Frame". This was a new design that came out in 1969, The pre-69 Troopers take the Phython,Officers Models,Official Polices etc. are E or I frame. Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Your gun is the same frame as the Python and Official Police "E&I" frame revolvers.

The later "J" frame Trooper Mark III and Lawman are totally different frames, and the grips don't interchange.

The grips for you gun that leave the front and back strap exposed are the "Service" style grips.

These are reasonably easy to find on Ebay, among others. I'd look for a pair advertised as fitting an Official Police.
Here's an example of what you need, from Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3658040484&category=39425
To be completely "Correct" the service grips should have silver medallions.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
All the above is very true, but also, be aware of the last of the Trooper series, the Trooper Mark V. It's a V frame, same size as the Anaconda, King Cobra, Peacekeeper, etc., and is different from all other Troopers. There is a surplus of these, both walnut(?) and rubber, being sold off by several distributors, for about 20 bucks/pair, so beware of these. They only fit the later V frames.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts