Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the main differences between the Trooper and the Diamondback. They look fairly similar to me but I'm sure they are different.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
The trooper is large compared to the DB. The Trooper is a J frame, I believe, and close to the size of a Python. It used to be called a poor mans Python. The Diamondback is a D frame, the same frame as a Detective special, Cobra, Agent, etc..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info elliotf. Is there a sticky or a link somewhere that shows the different Colt models and what frame they are based on similar to what the S&W forums have.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Once again we have Trooper confusion. The original Trooper (1953 - 1961) was an E frame, a medium sized frame having a hammer mounted firing pin and available in only 38 Special and 22LR. The Trooper 357 (1961 - 1969) was an I frame, essentially the same frame but with a frame mounted firing pin. The Trooper 357 was really a Model Three-Fifty-Seven (1953-1961) with a name change and supposedly a little less fit and finish attention. The Trooper 357, available only in 357 Magnum and 38 Special, was a replacement/follow-on line to both the Trooper and Model 357 which were "discontinued". This was because the Python, started in 1955 overshadowed the Model 357 as the premium offering. The Model 357 was really the predecessor to the Python, being the first I frame. They all had the same action, however, and therefore could be considered poor man's Pythons. The Trooper MkIII, starting in 1969 is a completely different design medium frame, designated J. It uses a transfer bar/coil mainspring action, has sintered case hardened hammer and trigger and is not hand fitted. It is however very rugged and was available in 357 Magnum (38 Special), 22LR and 22 Magnum. The Diamondback is a D frame, a small size frame with a hammer mounted firing pin and the same action design as the E and I frames with slight geometric differences due to scaling down. It was touted by some as a small Python, but it is not, being essentially a Detective Special with a ribbed barrel, adjustable sight and a wide spur hammer. While the action required some fitting the same as the E/I frames, it was not done to the extent of the Python and neither was the finish. The DB was available in 38 Special and 22LR only. It is a nicely balanced and attractive revolver. I'm not sure which Trooper looks like it to you, but probably the Trooper MkIII because of the ribbed barrel. The DB is actually more like the E and I frames, however, because of the action design. Hope that helps everybody. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts