Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can use some help. Fitted a new rebound lever to my Trooper (old model) With the help of the very fine Kuhnhausen book I did O.K. Not fast, but O.K. Very happy with the results. Instant bolt pickup and tight cylinder lockup.
But once in a while in double action mode the trigger will turn the cylinder but not cock the hammer. Mostly when I cycle things slowly. If I pull the trigger with some speed it does not fail to fire.
I am just not seeing what might be wrong. Any advice on what I might check would be appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S. If you own a Colt double action revolver the purchase of the Kuhnhausen book is VERY MUCH worth the money.
My Trooper needed some TLC from the start and I am almost at 100% with it. No way could I have spent the money needed for a real gunsmith to take care of it. Plus, I am enjoying learning the Colt system. (Being an old S&W guy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
That's an odd one. Usually things fail when the action is operated fast but not slow.

I recommend removing the side plate and cylinder first.
Gently hold the hand in place and cycle the action.
I'd first look at how the trigger top shelf is interacting with the double action strut on the hammer.
Is the DA strut sticking?
Is the trigger "missing" the DA strut for some reason?

Next check the rebound action. Since you replaced the rebound, it's very probable the rebound isn't allowing the hammer to reset properly, and the DA strut isn't returning.

If things work OK, reassemble the cylinder and check operation again. ( You don't need to replace the retaining screw and plunger).

In the Kuhnhausen book, check page 106: Hammer-Safety Interference, and Page 107.

In this case, since the rebound was replaced, that's probably where the problem is.
Unless there's obviously something wrong with the hammer, DO NOT alter it or anything else.
It's probably the rebound and likely nothing else needs, or should be altered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmmmm...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If the strut isn't sticking of its own accord, it's possible that the rebound extension is slightly bent, bowed, or twisted and is contacting the strut. When the trigger resets, it pushes the strut back, and a bent rebound extension would prevent it from returning, causing exactly the symptoms described.

The same thing might be caused by a bent or improperly installed safety lever, acting in the same manner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you VERY much. Perfect answer for me pulling my hair out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have to stone the rebound lever just a little bit. It is holding the hammer back a few .001 too far. Also found a small burr on the bottom of the double action strut. It touched the trigger just enough to hang the strut up. Keeping it from returning forward. And I mean just barely. I would have to cycle the action about twenty times slowly to make it stick once.
With the sideplate off I could see what the strut was doing. When it hung up, a tiny tap on the frame with the handle end of a screwdriver would pop it free.
This was the last step for my project Trooper to be 100% for me. (O.K. Next to last step. When my fancy claro walnut Trooper stocks arrive from Herretts I will be one happy camper.)
Thanks again.

Steve.

P.S. Thanks also to Grant. Will take a closer look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts