Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range with my Colt Trooper, I squeezed the trigger and no bang. The gun did not fire because the cylinder did not put a fresh round under the hammer. Then something in my hand, it was the hand/safety connector spring with the end broken off. Without the hand, the cylinder won't turn. (I did learn that if I aim the gun down, gravity will position the hand.) So I called Colt and 2 gunsmiths but they did not have the spring. Colt did say if I sent it in, they had a hand that they would use. I did not want to send it in. I had put the spring in before when I replaced the trigger return spring so I just wanted to get my hands on a new spring. As luck would have it, there was one on Gunbroker.com. I bid high enough to be sure I would get it and I did. It arrived this afternoon but I can't get it in. It seems that the little curlicue on the end is too big to fit into the hole on the hand. The old spring went in easy but not this one. Kuhnhausen doesn't say anything about it. So if anyone knows the trick, I'd love to hear it.

Thank You,
Richard L.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
Assuming you have a Trooper Mark III and not an original Trooper.......

Kuhnhausen and the factory recommend NOT attempting to replace the spring in the transfer bar due to cracking issues.
Both recommend installing a new transfer bar and spring assembly.
Note that the .22 rimfire guns use a different bar and spring assembly then the center fire models.

You can buy the assembly here:

Colt Trooper MK-III
Note, buy the complete bar and spring assembly.

If you insist on chancing it, you can try to use a pair of jewelers pliers to re-form the curl in the spring to fit the hole, but on this, you're on your own.
On one or two occasions I did fit a spring due to the gun being needed ASAP and no time to order the parts. I used jewelers pliers, but then, I was also a watchmaker and used to working with delicate flat springs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel, are we talking abut the same thing? I see that I erred in my note. I said that, "too big to fit into the hole on the hand", I should have said, hole in the hammer/safety connector, item 44 in the book. The spring I need is item 45 in the book. I am talking about the Trooper MK III, .38/.357. I know nothing about a transfer bar.

Thank You,
Richard L.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
Item 44 and 45 in what book? If you mean the Kuhnhausen manual PAGE 44, we're on the same page.

Colt calls it the safety connector, most companies and gunsmiths call it the transfer bar, since that's what it is.
Colt invented the modern transfer bar safety/ignition action with the Mark III.
Different companies call gun parts different things.
Colt calls it a safety connector, every one else calls it a transfer bar because the bar transfers the hammer strike to the firing pin, and acts as the safety, since if the trigger is released the bar is retracted down and the hammer can't contact the firing pin to fire.
Different names...same thing.

So we're talking about the same thing, just under different names.
On the parts source I linked to at Coltparts, the transfer bar/safety connector is part 41, the spring is part 42.

Kuhnhausen addresses the safety connector and spring on page 80.
He discusses not tightening loose spring fit, but not what to do if the spring is too big for the hole.
Again, you're choice....replace the entire assembly, or get some smooth jaw jewelers pliers and try reshaping the spring to fit the connector/transfer bar.
Whatever, DO NOT alter the actual bar itself, they do crack and break.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually was able to put the spring into the spring hole in the safety. I used hot water and needle nose pliers to squeeze the curlicue enough so that it fit. However, it was too tight in the hole and could not rotate as it should. So I took dfariswheel's advice and called Colt Parts and sent them a check. No PayPal or credit cards. That is fine but it will take a while for my check to get to Vancouver and then again back to me in NJ. So I guess I'll get out the old .380 and take it for some exercise which it needs since I haven't fired it since I got the Trooper. Thanks to dfariswheel and A1A for the suggestions and advice and thanks for the education.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
it was too tight in the hole and could not rotate as it should
???????????

The spring should NOT rotate. It should be a tight non-moving fit in the bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts