Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a friend an exc. M17-5 K22 for $275 so I could buy an OMM .22. Now, friend wants to sell K22 back to me for same price so he can buy a Trooper III 6" .22 in satin nickle for $350. It's also in exc. condition.
The trooper has a very heavy barrel. Would it be as good a target gun as the K22? Is this a fair price? It's a nice gun but not quite up to my OMM.
I don't really want the K22 but @ $275 it's practically a no brainer & I wouldn't have too much trouble reselling.
But, for the same $275 I also found a near mint Police Positive in .38 S&W. I can't get both - what would you choose?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well I like the little PP and 38S&W is a fun little round, but slightly expensive.

However, the K-22 is a real tack driver, if you remember. And you've been wishing you hadn't sold it, haven't you.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Shortcut! Quite a situation ... sounds like what must happen to gun guys a thousand times a day in every state of the union! Advice? "A refusal is not the act of a friend." Don Barzini, in "The Godfather." I think all the prices you mention are quite reasonable - nobody's out to make a killing. Personally, I'd go 1. OMM, 2. K-22, 3. PP 4. Trooper and trade accordingly. I've tried to learn to love the Mk III's years ago and again recently and I just can't warm up to them. Grip shape, I think. They are very accurate, though - and sturdy. The K-22 isn't my favorite, I think because I find it too light for my best shooting. The PP is a classic ... IF you need a 1947 small-town police service revolver. Don't get me wrong - I'm not bad mouthing it at all. It's light and surprisingly accurate - it's a Detective Special with a real barrel, is what is. It's just I don't want to feel, "armed, " with a .38 special ever again. And, doggone it, you can shoot .22's all Saturday afternoon and still take Momma out for supper instead of shoot a box of centerfires, listen to the buzz in your head and feel the empty in your wallet!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shortcut......
While you say you don't really want the K-22, having replaced it with the OMM, you also feel it will be easy to resell. The PPos is a great, classic, handy revolver. I have some trouble with the caliber as it is no longer common or practical. If all you want is a collection piece, fine, but if you want to shoot it, finding a PPos in .38 Spcl. would provide a much more useful sidearm. Under the conditions you describe I would recommend repurchasing the K-22 and selling it or trading it for a PPos in .38Spcl. I see plenty of them listed from time to time on the auctions so they are still reasonably available. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Ben

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have no need for the K22 or you aren't looking to make a higher sale for it, why bother? Your friend could just as easily resell it himself to finance his Trooper. You could offer to help him resell it if you know of potential buyers. By taking the chance of getting the K22 back and then trying to resell it you may end up letting the little PP you have your eye on slip thru your fingers.
IMO he is getting the short end of the stick with replacing a K22 with a Trooper. If he was looking at OMM's, OMT's, or OMS's then he would be headed in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts