Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I indicated in a previous post, I'm in the market for a 6" blued Trooper .357 - I want a really nice one, but not NIB. I'm trying to get an idea about values. I looked at one locally the other day and it turned out to be very nice...98-9% very miniscule holster marks on muzzle and grip - shot very little and mechanically perfect. So I was thinking to myself, "This is about a $375 to maybe $400 gun." As it turns out, the owner wants $500 and won't move off of that price....Yikes! Am I going to have to re-calibrate myself on the value of used Troopers? The values in the various books are all over the landscape - so not much help there. The bluebook says that a 100% gun is less than $500. Any help out there? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just saw a 4" in excellent condition go for $385 at my local gun shop. Had 2 sets of grips (wood & rubber), and the original box. Don't know if there's a premium for 6" barrels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A week or two ago at the local gun show I saw a 6 inch blue one with normal holster wear, maybe rated around 85 or 90% for $475 asking price. (Figure about $25 off that after dickering.) In the last few months I've seen 95% blue ones asking $395. I've only been looking at 6 inch blue ones so I don't know how barrel length or nickle would figure into it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
waynem, that price ($500) may not be out of line for very nice original Trooper, but would be at least $100 too high for a MKIII.

·
Registered
778 Posts
One of the more unfortunate things about the used gun market today is that most dealers are hep to internet auction prices. If a gun is in pristine condition they know that someone is going to come along, and give them their asking price eventually.

We went to a gun show this past weekend, and bought three guns, a $275, a $325, and a $250. all from the same dealer.
They were all under priced, and in 98% condition but he had a lot of guns at the show, and evidently wanted to get rid of some, and convert them to cash.

Sometimes you are better off to walk away, and buy another day, when you find prices more to your liking.

The price on the Trooper is on the high about right side in my opinion considering its condition. It kind of depends on how much you want it. The dealer knows you do, and is using that knowledge to his advantage.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
103 Posts
waynem,
Your right, prices are all over the place. I agree from the responses listed, wait and get what you want. They are out there. I just bought a Colt Trooper III ca. 1978 in 99% condition (looks unfired) from a local shop for $305. I couldn't walk away from that deal. I usually see these for around $400+. Good luck in your hunt.
coltlarry9

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went ahead and did it. I broke one of my rules. I bought a gun (6" blue MK3) by simply looking at pictures of it. As it turns out, the gun is part of estate sale, has the original box and papers was shot only a "few" times (whatever that means) and never saw a holster so the finish is perfect. The pictures bear out the condition of the metal and wood - beautiful. Now if it only shoots as well as it looks. Anyway, I'll try to post pictures (if I'm not embarassed) when I take delivery. Oh, what did I pay? $350. I figure I'm gonna be real happy, or....... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif We'll see.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well I went ahead and did it. I broke one of my rules. I bought a gun (6" blue MK3). Oh, what did I pay? $350.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, wayne, I am assuming you found another one at a price you could live with or is is this the same gun at a much lowered price?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Different gun....The $500 one I saw and inspected in person. Although it was nice, I couldn't bring myself to buy. The one I did purchase was by pictures only. Shipping added $20 and my club has it's own FFL - so no "transfer" fees. Like I said, I'll have to wait and see. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw a nice one a pawn shop yesterday for $395. probably with some wiggle room. $500.00 was a bit much.

Buying on the internet is like anything else. Do it with care, and use a CC when possible. Maybe we have been lucky, but every gun we have purchased on the net has been as offered.

We still try to buy locally when possible. But the net has guns we cannot find where we live.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with alot of the above comments.

I only buy auction guns that are here in Texas so that I can drive to their location and still back out if they are not as advertised.

Even then, I pay no FFL (yet do a hand-receipt to show transfer) nor shipping and use my CC if possible.

I find this has been the best method.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts