Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trooper MK III(.22)with 6\" barrel?

I saw a Trooper Mark III in nice condition in a Gunsmith's Shop(Here in the PRK)the other day, in(.22 Cal.)with a 6-inch barrel. There was no box or papers, but,it was in excellent condition.

The price was $450. Even in CA, does this price seem to be too high for a(.22 Cal.)Colt MK III(6-incher)? This revolver feels very heavy in the hand with the 6-inch barrel? Although I would probably prefer a four-inch barrel, these Colt MK III .22's don't seem to grow on trees(Here in the PRK)? Yet, is $450 too much to pay? This Gunsmith won't budge off of this price! I was about ready to pass on this MK-III, but, I'd like to hear any of your opinions on whether this gun is worth $450(Or, if not?)? What are you guys paying for an(6") MK III(.22)in your States outside of CA? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Trooper MK III(.22)with 6\" barrel?

Alright,I will give you my opinion,which will seem biased,as it is only based on "1" gun,the model you describe. I have a "few D.A.(and SAAs)Colts,but they are older.

I bought a 4" .22 lr.Trooper MkIII about 10 years ago,for around $220,if I recall. It seemed to be the "perfect practice gun",at 42 oz.,or more,for my New Services and a number of N frame S&Ws. The weight,and balance were closer to these,than my E frame Colt .22s.

I did notcie that the bluing was no where near as good as my next newest Colt,a 1971 vintage Cobra .22,but I chalked up the uneven coloring,and milky appearance in spots(some 1970-80s S&Ws have this too!) to just the modern methods. The gun was used,but shot little,and action seemed fine. Not like a "leaf spring",but acceptable.

I tried about 15 different types of .22s and could get accuracy anywhere my older E frames. The cylinder latch spring,looked like a bent paper clip,and gave me fits before I "made" a better one. The gun felt great,but could get accuracy,and the action was not what I expected. Trigger pull)s) were fine. So, I traded it off after about 2 years of frustration.

Realize that this is NOT a valid sampling,and I tend to be "nostralgic"as far as guns. I have not seriously considered buying another post 69" Colt,even though I was tempted by a Nickled O.P. Mk.III and a 2" Lawman Snub.

The .22s are scarce,and that price seems about right. Bud

·
Registered
711 Posts

I bought my 6" Trooper Mk. III .22LR about 3 or so years ago and paid about $400 for it. It was mint condition with box and papers. I wanted a rimfire revolver that I would have no qualms about shooting so it was a toss up between it and an S&W 617. It's a nice gun to shoot (I'm no Olympic class shooter by any means) and I know it'll hold its value better than the Smith if I ever wanted to sell it.
To me, $450 would be the upper limit of the range I'd pay for the gun as you describe it. If I were looking to buy a .22LR revolver for informal target practice I'd prefer to get a DB. Since a DB would be at least $100 more than this Trooper, I'd get the Trooper and pay the slight premium over a Smith (6)17 in similar condition.

My 2¢

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Current Blue Book pricing puts the 6" Blue at the upper end of its value ($450). My gun show experiences of late confirm that dealers are asking $450-$500 for them in as-new condition. Bought an 8" nickel 22 mag recently and paid more for it. I may have goofed up on that purchase, but I wanted it. So, if you want a Trooper Mark III for your collection, I'd buy it if the condition is right. The value drops off quickly in less than 100% condition according to the Blue Book. My guess is that the dealer believes he will sell it at his price and is willing to wait if he needs to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts